1. April 2- World Autism Awareness Day 2018 was observed all over the world to highlight the necessity to improve the quality of life of people with autism. The theme for World Autism Awareness Day 2018 is: “Empowering Women and Girls with Autism”. The first World Autism Awareness Day was observed on 2nd April 2008. On this day, various autism organizations come together and discuss on research, diagnoses, treatment of autism, etc.
1. World-Class tourist amenities at Konark Sun Temple coincided with Utkal Diwas the foundation day of Odisha State was inaugurated by Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. Visitor-friendly infrastructure and facilities at Konark Sun Temple have been developed by Indian Oil Foundation (IOF), a trust formed by Indian Oil Corporation. Most prominent amenity at the temple is the world class interpretation centre which will not only educate tourists about the temple’s rich history but will also showcase natural and cultural heritage of Odisha.
1. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) on April 1, 2018 suspended the implementation of the new "good conduct certificate" for foreign job seekers. The "good conduct certificate" initiative by the UAE cabinet was raised on February 4, 2018 which stated that an immigrant moving to the UAE for work should present a police document from his country as a proof of non-criminal history or convictions.The immigrants will also be required to provide a good conduct certificate, if they change jobs within the Gulf state, but only if the new employer demands it.
2. India received first Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) cargo comprising 1.2 Lakh tones of the Gas from United States. The cargo landed at the Dabhol regasification terminal in Maharashtra.This recent consignment of LNG has been imported from US under a long-term USD 32 billion contract of 20 years. This contract was signed between India’s GAIL and America’s Dominion Energy Cove Point project in Maryland and Cheniere Energy Inc’s Sabine Pass Project in Louisiana.
3. China will unveil the world’s longest cross-sea bridge, connecting Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China. This cross-sea bridge will be 55km-long and six lanes wide, comprising of four tunnels and four artificial islands. It is a multi-billion dollar project, which took seven years to complete.It is reported that quantity of steel used in building this bridge is more than 60 Eiffel Towers in Paris, France and experts from 14 countries have been involved in its construction.The brigde will reduce the commute time between mainland China, Macau and Hong Kong to half. It is estimated that nearly 40000 vehicles will be passing over this bridge on daily basis, including shuttle buses running at 10-minute intervals.
Science and Technology/ defence:
1. Babur III- indigenously designed and built nuclear-capable, submarine-launched cruise missile (SLCM) was successfully test-fired by Pakistan. Babur-III is the naval variant of the land-based Babur-II. The missile is capable of delivering various types of payloads including nuclear. It incorporates advanced technologies, including underwater controlled propulsion and sophisticated guidance and navigation features. The missile has strike range of 450 km.
1. A record amount of Rs 71, 633.45 crore was digitally transacted through the Public Financial Management System (PFMS) portal. PFMS is implemented by the Controller General of Accounts, Ministry of Finance. It acts as a platform for management of funds through tracking of funds and real time reporting of expenditure and receipts through treasury and bank interface. The total number of transactions through the PFMS portal was 98,19,026 on 28th March 2018. This has created a record in number of digital transactions processed in a single day. It is also used for Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) payments under MGNREGA (Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act) and other notified schemes of the government.
1. M L Srivastava has been appointed as the protem chairman of the Lalit Kala Akademi. He will hold this post until a regular chairman is appointed. The previous administrator of Lalit Kala Akademi is CS Krishna Setty.
1. Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries, owning a fortune of $38 billion, is Asia’s third-richest man and has secured 19th rank in the Bloomberg Billionaires Index as of 2nd April 2018. In total, 24 Indians have found a place in the Bloomberg Billionaires Index top 500 list. Jeff Bezos has secured the top position globally with a net worth of $121 billion. He is followed by Bill Gates at the second spot with a net worth of $90.4 billion. The third position is occupied by Warren Buffett with $85.5 billion net worth.Jack Ma, Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group, is Asia’s richest person with $47.2 billion net worth. He is followed by Pony Ma, Tencent co-founder and CEO, with $41.1 billion net worth.Indians who feature in Bloomberg Billionaires top 100 index are Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries – 19th spot with $38 billion net worth, Lakshmi Mittal, chairman of ArcelorMittal – 54th spot with $18.5 billion net worth, Pallonji Mistry – 65th position, with $16.8 billion net worth, Azim Premji, Chairman of Wipro – 71st position with $16.2 billion net worth and Shiv Nadar, founder of HCL Technologies – 86th spot with $14.5 billion net worth
1. Kerala defeated West Bengal and won its sixth title in the 72nd Santosh Trophy (Football) at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, West Bengal on 1st April 2018. Kerala had last won Santosh Trophy in 2005. West Bengal had won Santosh Trophy title 32 times.
2. Indian Badminton players, PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth have been named ‘Sportspersons of the Year’ at the inaugural ESPN Multi-Sport Awards. Kidambi Srikanth has been adjudged ‘Sportsperson of the Year – Male’ for winning four Super Series titles. He is the only Indian shuttler and the fourth player ever to accomplish this feat in one calendar year. PV Sindhu has been adjudged ‘Sportsperson of the Year – Female’ for her outstanding performance in past one year, wherein she won the Indian and Korean Open Super Series titles.PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth’s coach Pullela Gopichand has been adjudged ‘best coach’. Among other winners, Indian National Women’s Hockey Team got the ‘Team of the Year’ title for their first Asia Cup victory in 13 years. ’Moment of the Year’ award, which was decided through a public poll went to Jeakson Singh for scoring a memorable goal against Columbia in the U-17 FIFA World Cup. Jeakson is the only Indian to score in a FIFA event.
1.Former Guatemalan military dictator Efrain Rios Montt died due to heart attack at his residence in Guatemala on 1st April 2018.