1. July 1- National Doctors’ Day is observed every year across India to express gratitude and acknowledge the dedication and commitment of the doctors’ towards our society. Indian Medical Association (IMA’s) theme for 2018 National Doctors’ Day is ‘Zero tolerance to violence against doctors and clinical establishment’. The observance of the day honours legendary physician and West Bengal’s second Chief Minister, Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy whose birth and death anniversary coincides on the same day.
2. July 1- Goods and Services Tax (GST) Day. India on1st July observed the 1st GST day to commemorate the first year of the unprecedented reform of Indian taxation. Earlier on June 30, 2018, the Union Finance Ministry announced to observe July 1, 2018 as the ‘GST Day’. The GST is a single indirect tax that subsumes most of the Central and State taxes such as the Value Added Tax (VAT), excise duty, service tax, central sales tax, additional customs duty and special additional duty of customs.
|CLICK HERE TO BUY ONLINE|
1. The 9th Heads of Mission Conference inaugurated by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj was held in New Delhi from June 30-July 2, 2018. The theme of three-day annual conference was ‘Unprecedented Outreach: Unparalleled Outcomes’.
2. Four cultural sites namely Victorian Gothic and Art Deco Ensemble of Mumbai (India), Sassanid Archaeological Landscape of Fars region (Iran), Hidden Christian Sites in Nagasaki Region (Japan) and Sansa, Buddhist Mountain Monasteries in Korea (South Korea) has inscribed on the World Heritage List at the 42nd session of World Heritage Committee (WHC) meeting of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) held in Manama,Bahrain.
3. As per the provision of bilateral agreement on consular access signed between both countries in May 2008, India and Pakistan have exchanged lists of civilian prisoners and fishermen lodged in each other’s jails. In the latest exchange, Pakistan has shared with India list of 53 civilian prisoners and 418 fishermen in its custody, who are Indians or believed to be Indians. India handed over to Pakistan list of 249 civilian prisoners and 108 fishermen from Pakistan lodged in Indian jails. Under the bilateral agreement, the lists of prisoners have to be exchanged twice every year – on January 1 and July 1.
4. Kerala Government has declared Kozhikode and Malappuram districts free from Nipah virus infection. NiV infection is zoonotic disease (disease transmitted to humans from animals) that causes severe disease in both animals and humans. The organism which causes Nipah Virus encephalitis is RNA or Ribonucleic acid virus of family Paramyxoviridae, genus Henipavirus, and is closely related to Hendra virus.
5. The Union Government has constituted 13-member Committee for Sub-National Accounts headed by Ravindra H Dholakia, a retired professor of IIM Ahmedabad to upgrade the norms for computation of economic data at states and districts level in backdrop of plans to revise the base year for National Accounts or Gross Domestic Production (GDP) calculation. The committee will review concepts, definitions, classifications, data conventions, data sources and data requirements for preparation of State Domestic Product (SDP) and District Domestic Product (DDP) and to lay down revised guidelines. It will submit its report within one year.
6. The Uttar Pradesh Government launched 'Commercial Tax at your door steps' on the occasion of Goods and Services Tax (GST) Day celebration at the offices of commercial tax on July 1, 2018. During these days, officials will meet the small and medium traders and resolve their issues related to commercial taxes. The scheme will run from July 1 to August 31, 2018.
7. The Conference of Ministers for Power, New & Renewable Energy of states & union territories will be held on July 3, 2018 in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. The one-day conference aims to review the implementation of various ongoing schemes/ programmes & deliberate on a host of issues relating to power and renewable energy sectors.
8. Indian Naval officer Commander Abhilash Tomy has been selected to participate in the prestigious Golden Globe Race (GGR), which commenced from Les Sables d’Olonne harbour in France on July 1, 2018.The GGR requires all the participants to sail around the world, single-handed and non-stop. Abhilash Tomy is the only invitee from Asia to participate in the prestigious and unique voyage. The uniqueness of the race is that it forbids the use of boat designs and technology newer than 1968.
9. The Supreme Court Bench comprising justices Ranjan Gogoi and R. Banumathi asked the government to file an affidavit within 10 days giving details of the steps which are likely to be taken for appointing the Lokpal. The court was hearing a contempt petition filed by NGO Common Cause, which had raised the issue of non-appointment of the ombudsman despite the apex court’s verdict on April 27, 2017.
1. Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador won Mexico’s presidency in a landslide victory on July 1, 2018, setting the stage for the left-wing to form the government at a time of tense relations with the Trump administration.
1. 15 executive directors to be elevated as managing directors (MD) at various public sector banks (PSBs) were recommended by the Banks Board Bureau (BBB). These recommendations were based on interactions held by BBB and are subject to various clearances. The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by Prime Minister will take the final decision in this regard. BBB is advisory authority (autonomous and self-governing body) of Central Government comprising eminent professionals and officials to improve governance of PSB’s.
2. For the first time, the Income Tax Department has launched instant Aadhaar-based e-PAN allotment service for individuals seeking PAN (Permanent Account Number) service. It was introduced because of increasing number of people applying for PAN. A. This facility is free of cost and is available for a limited period on first-come, first-served basis for valid Aadhaar holders. The e-PAN will be allotted on basis of one-time password (OTP) sent on mobile number linked to Aadhaar number of a person. It will have the same name, date of birth, gender, mobile number and address as in Aadhaar. The process can be done at the official portal of the department: https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
3. India’s manufacturing growth jumps to six-month high in June 2018 according to Nikkei Manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI), compiled by IHS Markit. This is the 11th consecutive month that the manufacturing PMI remained above the 50-point mark. Manufacturing PMI rose to 53.1 in June 2018 from 51.2 in May 2018, the highest since December 2017. PMI is an indicator of business activity-both in the manufacturing and services sectors. It is a survey-based measure that asks respondents about changes in their perception of some key business variables from month before.
4. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) extended the deadline for the PAN-Aadhaar linking to March 31, 2019. This is the fifth time the government has extended the deadline for individuals to link their Permanent Account Number (PAN) to their biometric ID (Aadhaar). The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) had last extended the deadline on March 27.
1. Renowned journalist Rajat Sharma was elected as the President of Delhi & District Cricket Association after polling 54.40 percent of the total votes cast and surpassed former World Cup winning Indian cricketer Madan Lal by 517 votes to register his win.
1. The prestigious National Kalidas Samman on noted artist Anjolie Ela Menon (78) Madhya Pradesh Government has conferred by Madhya Pradesh Government for her contribution to visual arts. She is a well-known muralist and one of India’s leading contemporary artists. Her preferred medium is oil on masonite, but she also has worked in other media, including glass and water colour.