1. August 20- World Mosquito Day is observed every year to raise awareness about the causes of malaria. This day also marks the groundbreaking discovery of British doctor, Sir Ronald Ross found that female Anopheles mosquitoes transmit malaria between humans in 1897.
1. Cyclone Warning Centre has been announced to set up in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. The centre will be equipped with state- of-the-art infrastructure including forecasting tools to provide daily weather alerts, issue weather warnings and coastal warnings or bulletins (for fishermen, etc). It is expected to be functional within a month and will cater to the needs of Kerala and Karnataka states. At present, IMD has six cyclone warning centres, four along east coast at Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh), Bhubaneswar (Odisha) and Kolkata (West Bengal), and two along west coast at Ahmedabad (Gujarat) and Mumbai (Maharashtra).
2. C-band Doppler weather radar is going to set up at Mangalore, Karnataka by Union Ministry of Earth Sciences. It is proposed to provide now cast alerts for severe weather, including thunderstorms triggered by heavy rain for the next 2-3 hours. This radar will cover northern Kerala and Karnataka. Currently, there are two Doppler radars in Kerala at Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram, which cover central and southern districts, respectively. It is expected to be installed by the end of next year. With addition of this new radar, entire state will be covered for monitoring rainfall and severe weather events.
3. National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has been designated as nodal authority to curb online child pornography, sexual violence and rape videos by Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA). It also has been mandated to launch online portal for receiving complaints and acting on them.
4. The state government of Chhattisgarh has decided to rename the state’s new capital city Naya Raipur as Atal Nagar in the memory of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. It will also be renaming few other places and institutions including Bilaspur University and Rajnandgaon Medical College after Vajpayee. The Chhattisgarh government has also decided to develop an Atal Memorial in an area of five acres at the state’s new capital. It has also decided to install a statue of the former Prime Minister in the state capital and district headquarters of all 27 districts. The decision was taken during the state’s cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Raman Singh on August 21, 2018.
5. A draft scheme for extending the affordable air travel programme- UDAN to international circuits, with state governments identifying the routes for operation has been unveiled by the Union Government. Under the scheme, a dedicated fund - International Air Connectivity Fund (IACF)- has been proposed to be set up for providing subsidy support. It will be created through the contributions of state governments. The draft International Air Connectivity (IAC) scheme aims to increase the international ticketing to 20 crore by 2027.
6. The UIDAI has directed the Aadhaar enrolment agencies in Kerala, including banks and post offices, to facilitate retrieval of the 12-digit number and provide free printouts to Aadhaar-holders who have lost their document in the flood-hit state. The enrolment agencies can also help in the retrieval of Aadhaar numbers by visiting the relief camps.
1. ‘International Buddhist Conclave (IBC), 2018’ will inaugurate in Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi on August 23, 2018 by the President of India Ram Nath Kovind. During the inaugural session, the Tourism Ministry will launch its website landofbuddha.in and a new film showcasing the Buddhist sites in the country. The Conclave is being organised by the Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with the State Governments of Maharashtra, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh from August 23-26, 2018 at New Delhi and Ajanta (Maharashtra), followed by site visits to Rajgir, Nalanda and Bodhgaya (Bihar) and Sarnath (Uttar Pradesh).
Science & Technology:
1. Facebook has removed 652 fake accounts for “coordinated inauthentic behaviour” that originated in Iran and Russia and targeted people across multiple Internet services in the Middle East, Latin America, Britain and the US. Facebook acted on these accounts after FireEye, a global cybersecurity firm, gave it information in July about “Liberty Front Press”, a network of Facebook pages as well as accounts on other online services.
First in State/National/International:
1. Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) became the first public sector enterprise (PSU) to make transaction on RXIL TReDS platform. TReDS is online electronic institutional mechanism for facilitating the financing of trade receivables of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) through multiple financiers. HAL executed its first digitised invoice discounting transaction on RXIL TReDS platform by accepting digital invoice uploaded by Nasik-based MSME (micro category) vendor Narendra Udyog. This transaction was financed by Bank of Baroda.
1. President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Governors of seven states by exercising his authority under Article 156. Satya Pal Malik was transferred to Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) who is former Governor of Bihar. Tathagata Roy was transferred as new Governor of Meghalaya. He was earlier the Governor of Tripura. Baby Rani Maurya has been made the new Governor of Uttarakhand. Satyadev Narayan Arya was appointed as the new Governor of Haryana. Kaptan Singh Solanki was appointed as new Governor of Tripura. Prior to this, he was Governor of Haryana. Ganga Prasad was appointed as the new Governor of Sikkim. He is former Governor of Meghalaya. Lal Ji Tandon has been appointed as new Governor of Bihar.
1. Indian shooter Rahi Sarnobat winning the 4th gold in the finals of women’s 25m pistol event on 4th day of Asian Games 2018. With the feat, she became the first Indian woman to win a gold medal in shooting at the Asian Games.
2. Asian Games gold medalist athlete Hakam Singh (64) passed away on August 14, 2018 at a private hospital in Sangrur, Punjab. He had been ailing for some time and was undergoing treatment for liver and kidney ailments.