1. Mosquito Terminator on Wheels- a special mosquito terminator train to prevent mosquito breeding along railway tracks was jointly launched Delhi division of Northern Railway and South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) in New Delhi. Indian Railways is also collaborating with three corporations in NCR Delhi to take requisite measures to prevent breeding of mosquitoes in railway colonies and railway land. For this train, SDMC has provided high power sprayer and insecticide on truck mounted power sprayer. It has been loaded on special kind of wagon, which will spray insecticides during train movement to sanitise areas upto distance of 50-60 metres along rail tracks on Ring Railway. It will cover distance of 150km in each cycle over by moving at speed of 20 kmph.
2. The ‘horn not ok’ awareness campaign and ‘shaur nahin’ (no noise) mobile application were launched in state capital Shimla by Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur. ‘shaur nahin’ app will enable general public to report cases of noise pollution. Complaints received through this app will be immediately made available to concerned deputy commissioner, superintendent of police, sub-divisional magistrate and sub-divisional police officer who can later respond with the action taken report on the application itself. The ‘horn not ok’ awareness campaign aims to spread awareness of unnecessary blowing horn as it creates unnecessary noise pollution and is harmful to health. The first phase of campaign has been launched in Shimla and Manali.
3. To set up the country’s first National Sports University in Imphal (west), Manipur, the National Sports University Bill, 2018 has passed by Lok Sabha by voice vote. The Bill replaces National Sports University Ordinance, 2018 promulgated by President in May 2018 to protect interests of students who already have been enrolled in National Sports University.
4. Centre has notified Supreme Court that it has withdrawn proposal for setting up ‘Social Media Communication Hub’. This comes after apex court had issued notice to centre earlier and had termed Government’s proposal to monitor online data using this hub akin to ‘creating a surveillance state’.
5. India was elected as President of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Broadcasting Development (AIBD) for period of two years. AIDB is regional inter-governmental organisation serving countries of United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN-ESCAP) in field of electronic media development.
6. The iconic Mughalsarai Railway Junction of Uttar Pradesh was renamed as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Junction Railway station on August 5, 2018. The Mughalsarai station got a new name after Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik gave his assent to the proposal in June 2018 following the in-principle approval by the Union Government in 2017 to the state government’s proposal.
Science & Technology:
1. “Digital Literacy Library” has launched by Social networking giant Facebook. The library is resource for educators looking to address digital literacy and help these young people build the skills. There are 18 interactive lessons and videos have been developed in partnership with Youth and Media team at Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University for educators of youth aged 11 to 18. These lessons are in English language and Facebook is planning to launch these in additional 45 languages soon.
First in State/ India/World:
1. The world’s first single-chromosome yeast has created by researchers from China’s Centre for Excellence in Molecular Plant Sciences. Researchers had used CRISPR-Cas9 genome-editing technology to create a single-chromosome yeast strain. Firstly in this process, researchers had fused two chromosomes and then joined product to another chromosome and repeated process in successive rounds until there was only one chromosome left. The research had revealed that number of chromosomes of eukaryote has no correlation with amount of genetic information they possess.
2. An MoU with Tech Mahindra to launch India’s first Blockchain district was signed by Telangana State Information Technology, Electronics and Communication department (ITE&C). Blockchain district will be global talent hub which can help to unlock value of blockchain technology in democratising data and solving big scale world problems. It will provide an opportunity for blockchain ecosystem in India to collaborate and work towards building a blockchain district in Telangana and transforming India as the blockchain capital of the world.
1. The Union Government has approved 122 new research project proposals worth Rs 112 crore for funding under its Impacting Research Innovation and Technology ‘IMPRINT-2’ scheme. The proposals were approved on August 4, 2018 at the IMPRINT 2 Apex Committee meeting held in New Delhi. The initiative aims to advance research in energy, healthcare, security and defence domains in the high education institutions.