1. Aug 7 – National Handloom Day
1. Former TN CM and tallest Chief of DMK Dr. M. Karunanidhi ( 94) has passed away on Aug 7, 2018 at Kauvery Hospitals Chennai after illness.
1. President Ram Nath Kovind has given assent (under Article 111) to Fugitive Economic Offenders Bill, 2018 passed by Parliament. With this assent, this Bill becomes law that will deter fugitive economic offenders to evade legal process in India and flee the country.
2. Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill, 2018 prescribing death penalty to those convicted of raping girls below age of 12 years and making law against such sexual offences more stringent has passed by Parliament. The Bill replaces the Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance promulgated on April 2018.
3. Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill, 2018 to reverse effects of Supreme Court order concerning certain safeguards against arrests under SC/ST law has unanimously passed by Lok Sabha. The Bill seeks to amend the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989.
4. Constitution (One Hundred and Twenty-Third Amendment) Bill, 2017 that seeks to provide constitutional status to the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC) has passed by Parliament. Now, the bill will be sent to President for his assent (as per 368 of Constitution).
1. New plans to change law for organ and tissue donation has announced by United Kingdom Government to address urgent need for organs within Indian-origin communities in the country. This will be known as Max’s Law after Max Johnson, a 10-year-old boy who was saved by a heart transplant. The amendment in existing law will propose new system of consent for organ and tissue donation.
Science and Technology:
1. India’s second mission to moon- Chandrayaan-2 has been postponed to January 2019 by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). This will be second time mission has been postponed. The ambitious mission was earlier planned to be launched in April 2018 and was later fixed for October 2019. With this delay, India may lose fourth position in the world for soft-landing on the moon to Israel as it too planning to launch moon mission in December2018.
2. Two IT initiative Bidder Information Management System (BIMS) and Bhoomi Rashi and PFMS linkage were launchedby Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highway (MoRTH). BIMS portal aims at streamlining process of pre-qualification of bidders for EPC Mode of contracts for National Highway works with enhanced transparency and objectivity. Bhoomi Rashi portal has been developed by MoRTH and National Informatics Centre (NIC). It comprises entire revenue data of country, right down to 6.4 lakh villages. The Bhoomi Rashi portal has been integrated with Public Financial Management System (PFMS) to facilitate payment related to compensation for land acquisition to all beneficiaries directly through Bhoomi Rashi system. It will make payment of Compensation by MoRTH to beneficiaries in real time and without any parking of funds.
3. China successfully tested its first cutting-edge hypersonic “waverider” flight vehicle (aircraft) Xingkong-2 (Starry Sky-2). The Xingkong-2 hypersonic waverider flight vehicle was released in air from rocket after about 10 minutes. The test successfully proved various parameters of flight vehicle, thus marking successful launch of Xingkong-2 and first flight of Chinese waverider. The hypersonic waverider flight vehicle was designed by state-run China Academy of Aerospace Aerodynamics (CAAA) in collaboration with China Aerospace.
1. Maitree 2018 - joint military exercise between Indian Army and Royal Thai Army was conducted in Thailand from 6 to 19 August 2018. Its opening ceremony was started with familiarization of organisation and display of weapons and equipment of both armies. Besides, experts from both sides also held detailed discussions to share their experience on varied topics for mutual benefit.
First in State/India / International:
1. Ajay Data becomes first Indian to get selected as a member of ccNSO (Country Code Supporting Organisation) which is policy development body of ICANN(Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) for ccTLD (country code top-level domains) issues and represents all country code top level domain operators from around the world. He has been selected for two-year term and will take up position during ICANN 63 Meet in Spain in October 2018. He will be representing India at global level and will be also custodian of Asia, Australia and Pacific Islands as member of ccNSO. He is founder & CEO of Data XGen Plus and global leader in email linguistic services. He is creator of world’s first email address mobile app and email solution for IDN (Internationalized Domain Names) Domains. He was awarded Graham Bell Award for this innovation.
2. Under Project Shakti- Computer scientists from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras have developed first of family of six industry-standard microprocessors named RISECREEK. The initial batches of 300 chips have been fabricated at Intel’s facility at Oregon, US for free to run Linux operating system.
1. A MoU was signed by National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) with country’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) for long term unsecured loan of Rs. 25,000 crore for 10 years with 3 years of moratorium on repayments. The loan sanctioned by SBI is unsecured. It has no principal repayment liability for initial three years. But after three years, repayment will be done in 14 equal half yearly installments. The total loan tenure is 10 years. NHAI can repay or prepay it at any time without any prepayment penalty. This is SBI’s highest long term unsecured loan to any entity and also largest loan ever sanctioned to NHAI in one stroke by any institution.
2. The deadline on imposing import duty hike on 29 products, imported from United States (US) has further extended by Union Finance Ministry by 45 days till September 18, 2018 from earlier August 4, 2018. This decision for extension of retaliatory measures for another 45 days was taken based on suggestion of Union Commerce Ministry.
1. Olympic champion Carolina Marin of Spain won this title by defeating India’s P V Sindhu. With this victory, Marin became the first woman shuttler to win the world championships thrice. She had earlier won the title in 2014 (Copenhagen) and 2015 (Jakarta). P V Sindhu won silver medal in women’s singles category at the World Championships 2018 of Badminton held at Nanjing, China. It makes Sindhu only Indian to have four world championships podium finishes. Earlier she had won two bronze medals at 2013 (Guangzhou) and 2014 (Copenhagen) editions. Women’s doubles: Japanese pair of Mayu Matsumoto and Wakana Nagahara won the title by defeating another Japanese pair of Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota. Kento Momota of Japan won the title (gold medal) by defeating China’s Shi Yuqi in Men’s singles category. With this victory, he became the first Japanese man to win the Championships. Chinese pair of Li Junhui and Liu Yuchen won the Men’s doubles title by defeating Japanese pair of Takeshi Kamura and Keigo Sonoda. Chinese pair of Zheng Siwei and Huang Yaqiong won the Mixed doubles title by defeating another Chinese pair of Wang Yilü and Huang Dongping.