1. The Union cabinet approves co-operation between India and Japan on Railway safety and signed MoC on it.The MoC also provides a platform for Indian railways to interact and share the latest development and knowledge in the railway sector.
2. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approves Cental sector scheme SAMPADA (2016-2020) which aims to supplement agriculture, modernize processing and decrease agri-waste.SAMPADA stands for Scheme for Agro- Marine Processing and Development of Agro-processing Clusters.
3. NASA scientists have created a prototype of an inflatable greenhouse that could enable crop production, oxygen creation and water recycling in deep space .It can be done in moon or Mars also. This new approach uses plants to scrub carbon -dioxide while providing food and oxygen for those working in deep space.
4. Aizawl Football Club (FC) , the newly crowned i-League football champions threatened to go on a fast unto death if they are not allowed to play in the top-tier of domestic club structure next session.
5. Chinese scientists have created a new test kit that can help detect any kind of cancer with just one drop of blood.
6. Brij Bihari Kumar was appointed as the new Chairman of ICSSR(Indian Council of Social Science Research ). He would be succeeding SK Thorat
7. Prabhat Kamal Bezboruah became the first non-IAS to became the Chairman of Tea Board of India-Kolkatta
8. Renowned Coffee grower MS Boje Gowda was appointed as the Chairman of the Coffee Board of India –Bangalore
9. Syrian allies Russia and Iran signed a deal with rebel supporter Turkey to create safe zones in the rebel -held zones.
10. The Environmentalist Foundation of India(EFI) has started working on reviving an ancient water body located in front of Sri Ramanujar Sannadhi at Sevilimedu in the Kanchipuram district of Tamil Nadu
11. The Supreme Court confirms death sentence to the four convicts of Nirbhaya case ( Delhi –gang rape)
12. Face book launches “ Express Wi-Fi” in India. This offers internet facility to the users in rural parts of India through public hotspots .
13. Agni –II Intermediate range Surface-Surface Ballistic Missile from Abdul Kalam Island in Bhadrak district of Odisha. However, the user trial was failed and it did not meet all the desired parameters.The test was carried out by SFC (Strategic Forces Command )as a part of training exercise.
14. ISRO have successfully launched the communication and broadcasting satellite “ South Asian Satellite “ on 5th May 2107.It was launched with GSLV F-09 from Sriharikota. Participating countries area Afghanistan,Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri lanka, Maldives and Nepal . Pakistan was denied in this.
15. The fossil of one of the last living species of African dinosaurs was discovered in phosphate mines of Northern Morocco. This is believed to survive before an asteroid strike wiped them .
16. Pepsi Co India launches dairy based beverages (Oats based milk beverage )under other brands including Tropicana.
17. Justice Leila Seth ( first female judge of the Delhi High Court ) has passed away.
18. China’s C919 passenger jet( home grown ) has completed its maiden flight .C919 passenger jet undertook an 80-minute flight flying over the Yangtze River delta and touched down at Shanghai’s international airport.
19. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has tightened the rules around making the Joint Lenders’ Forum (JLF) more effective, directing banks not to break any rules and to meet all deadlines. The RBI has said that any breach of rules would attract a monetary penalty.
20.2016 Wisden-MCC (Melbourne Cricket Council) Cricket ‘Photograph of the Year’ has bagged by Kashmir based freelance photographer Saqib Majeed for capturing a stunning image of boys playing cricket at the Nishat garden in the outskirts of Srinagar. With this he became the first Kashmiri and second Asian after Atul Kamble to receive the prestigious award.
21. The government has declared the entire Assam as a “disturbed” area under the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act for another 3 months. As per the notification, the entire Assam besides bordering areas of Meghalaya has been declared as “Disturbed Areas”. In addition, the government has placed three districts of Arunachal Pradesh, namely, Tirap, Changlang and Longding and other areas falling under 16 police stations bordering Assam as “disturbed” area under the AFSPA.
22. India’s foreign exchange (Forex) reserves have increased by $1.594 billion as Per RBI’s Statistical supplement. The increase was due to increase in foreign currency assets (FCAs).
23.India’s first private sector small arms manufacturing plant has been inaugurated in Madhya Pradesh to supply world class weapons to the armed forces in line with the India’s defence indigenization programme.