1. First India –Russia joint committee on Science and technology cooperation held in the Siberian city of Novosibirsk and the key areas identified to boost are space and marine technologies, IT and deep ocean engineering.The meeting was Co chaired by the Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and Russian Deputy PM Dmitry Rogozin. Rogozin praised India’s Make in India initiative and it inspired Russia to launch its own initative “ Do It in Russia “initiative in Moscow, to boost local manufacturing and technology development. This year, India and Russia are celebrating 70 years of establishment of diplomatic relations between them. India’s Department of Science & Technology, New Delhi and Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Moscow are celebrating their 10th year of their partnership.
2. Italian fashion legend Carla Fendi passed away . She was the public face of the company famous colourful ‘baguette “ bags.
3. Kenneth I Juster was chosen to be next US ambassador to India
4. Vladimir Voronkov was appointed as the Under-Secretary- General of UN Counter -Terrorism office.
5. According to UN report India is going to become the most populated country in the world by 2024.
6. Sonam Kapoor’s fashion label Rheson won the Compassionate Business Award 2017 from PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of animals) for a line of bags made exclusively of vegan materials.
7. Social media giant Face book on 21st June 2017 introduced some new tools in India that will allow users especially women to protect their profile pictures from being downloaded and shared . By triggering the Photo Guard , one can prevent the downloading, sharing or sending of the photo in a Face book message.Profile pictures with added security will be displayed with a blue border and shield forming visual cue so that people can understand the picture is protected.
8. Uttarakhand has become the 4th state to be Open defecation free(ODF) and Haryana became the 5th state to be ODF in India . Sikim was the 1st state to be ODF free in India . Himachal Pradesh and Kerala found to be ODF in the latter half of 2016.
9. Rajiv Gauba to be the next Union Home Secretary with immediate effect. He is a 1982 batch IAS officer of Jharkhand cadre.
10.Former Lok Sabha speaker Meira Kumar has been choosen as the Presidential candidate nominee by Congress to fight against BJP- led NDA’s Ramnath Kovind
11.June 23 – International Widows Day Observed Day
12.Union Government launched VAJRA ( Visiting Advanced Joint Research Faculty ) scheme to attract Indian scientists abroad and India –based researchers for conducting joint researches in India.
13.Union Cabinet has approved the amendment of Social Security agreement( SSA) between India and Netherlands to strengthen their tie between the two countries .
14.ISRO has launched successfully Cartosat -2 series satellite along with 30 other co-passengers payload by the launch vehicle PSLV C-38 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota at 9 a.m on 23rd June 2017.The 30 nano satellites includes 29 satellites from 14 countries and 1 domestically pay load of a private educational institute from Kanyakumari district.
15.A recent notification of Union Health Ministry states that TB patients should submit their Aadhaar details to avail cash benefits from the government for their treatment.
16.The first Olympic Games activation will take place at Olympic Winter Games Pyeongchang 2018 in South Korea in Feb 2018. The Intel technology will provide real time virtual reality viewing of the Olympic winter Games.
17.ONGC and UNSECO conducted a preliminary survey for the conservation of Chilika Lake to get Chilika Lake a world Heritage site tag. In order to secure the tag, the lake should have outstanding global values in terms of bio diversity and ecosystem .Chilika lake is a brackish water lagoon in the state of Odisha.
18.The Union Ministry of Electronics and IT has launched a dedicated web page to help companies in the IT services and electronics sectors to adapt to the new GST regime. The web page can be accessed through the ministry’s portal : http://meity.Gov.in/
19.Nisha Dutt, Chief Executive Officer of Intellecap has become the first Indian woman leader to have been honoured with the “Social Entrepreneur of the Year” award at The 7th Asian Awards in London. Her key contribution lies in integrating technology with challenges of healthcare, financial services, incubation and conceptualising programs such as Innovations Labs.
20.NASA has launched world’s lightest satellite weighing only 64 grams designed by 18-year-old boy Rifath Sharook from Tamil Nadu. The tiny satellite has been named as KalamSat after the former President APJ Abdul Kalam. The tiny satellite was launched into space on a sounding rocket from NASA’s facility in Wallops Island. KalamSat is a 3-D printed satellite. This is the first time that 3-D printing technology is used to make satellites. The satellite has been made of reinforced carbon fibre polymer. By using the concept called BalloonSats, the group created a Near Space Launch Vehicle (NSLV) to launch KalamSat. BalloonSats are designed to carry lightweight experiments into near-space. The satellite was operated for 12 minutes in a micro-gravity environment of space after its flight. The purpose behind the launch of KalamSat was to demonstrate the performance of 3D-printed carbon fibre.
21.Union Minister for Urban Development and Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation, M. Venkaiah Naidu has announced a new batch of 30 smart cities under Smart City Mission, which was launched on June 25, 2015. With the addition of these 30 smart cities, the total cities picked up under the Smart City Mission has reached 90. Out of the 30 cities, 26 had proposed affordable housing projects, 26 had proposed new schools and hospitals and 29 had proposed redesign and development of roads. The newly selected cities include Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala, Naya Raipur in Chhattisgarh, Rajkot in Gujarat, Amravati in Andhra Pradesh, Patna in Bihar, Karimnagar in Telangana, Muzaffarpur in Bihar, Puducherry, Gandhinagar in Gujarat, Srinagar in Jammu and Kashmir, Sagar in Madhya Pradesh, Karnal in Haryana, Satna in Madhya Pradesh, Bengaluru in Karnataka, Shimla in Himachal Pradesh, Dehradun in Uttarakhand, Tirupur in Tamil Nadu, Pimpri Chinchwad in Maharashtra, Bilaspur in Chhattisgarh, Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu in Jammu & Kashmir, Dahod in Gujarat, Tirunelveli, Thootukkudi and Tiruchirapalli in Tamil Nadu, Jhansi in Uttar Pradesh, Aizawl in Mizoram, Allahabad and Aligarh in U.P. and Gangtok in Sikkim. The government will further select 10 more cities under smart city mission as 100 cities were supposed to be selected for the Smart Cities Mission in total. The remaining 20 cities that will be contesting for the remaining 10 slots are: Itanagar (Arunachal Pradesh), Biharsharif (Bihar), Diu (Daman & Diu), Silvassa (Dadra and Nager Haveli), Kavaratti (Lakshadweep), Navimumbai, Greater Mumbai and Amaravati (Maharashtra), Imphal (Manipur), Shillong (Meghalaya), Dindigul and Erode(Tamil Nadu), Bidhannagar, Durgapur and Haldia (West Bengal), Meerut,Rai Bareilly, Ghaziabad, Sharanpur and Rampur (UP).
22.The United States has cleared the sale of the state-of-the-art Guardian 22 unmanned Guardian drones to India.The transfer of the state-of-the-art UAV technology to India will be the first significant progress after India’s entry into the exclusive Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) and after the US has designated India as a major defence partner.
23.The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) became the first municipal corporation in the country to tap money through municipal bonds in 14 years. The AA+ rated PMC’s municipal bonds raised Rs 200 crore at 7.59 per cent rate at the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). This is the first-ever mobilisation of debt capital by a municipal corporation on the BSE BOND platform. Municipal bonds have been in existence in India from the year 1997. Cities such as Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Nashik and Madurai have already issued them. The 10-year bonds will be used by the Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) for a Rs 2,300-crore water project. The scheme is aimed at providing water 24×7 for all residents of Pune.
24.China has launched a research project aimed at compiling historical data obtained during earlier expeditions conducted by its teams to the disputed South China Sea since the late 1950s.
25.Saudi Arabia’s king has appointed his son Mohammed bin Salman as crown prince and heir to the throne replacing his nephew, Mohammed bin Nayef. This also means that Prince Mohammed bin Salman will become the kingdom’s deputy prime minister while continuing as defence minister.
26.Indian Railways have decided to launch “Operation Swarn (‘gold’)“ to revamp Rajdhani and Shatabdi Express concerned over the complaints received from the public over these premium trains. Under the operation, in the first phase, Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express and Mumbai-Ahmedabad Shatabdi Express will be upgraded. Under the operation, a sum of Rs 50 lakh would be allotted to Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains on various routes for the purpose of revamping. Under the initiative, Indian Railways will work towards improving 10 aspects, namely, punctuality, cleanliness, linen, coach interiors, toilets, catering, staff behaviour, security, entertainment, housekeeping and regular feedback.
27.A bipartisan bill has been introduced in the US House of Representatives by two law makers that seeks to revoke Pakistan’s status as a major non- NATO ally (MNNA) to the US.
28.The Odisha Government on 22nd June 2017 has approved 53 Urban Projects under the AMRUT scheme ( Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation .
29.Poet J.Jayabharathi from Tamil Nadu has been chosen for Sahitya Akademi Yuva purashkar Awards 2017.This year regional poets were dominated and sweep out 16 awards for their exceptional poetry work. The other awardees included 5 authors for short stories, 2 for biographies and one for essay.
30.Governor of West Bengal Keshari Nath Tripathi took the additional charge of Governor of Bihar .