1. August 29 – National Sports Day is observed every year to celebrate the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand who was born on 29 August 1905. On this occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind presented National sports Awards to 29 players.
2. August 29- International Day against Nuclear Tests is observed with an aim to promote peace and security world wide.
3. The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) is going to launch Deep Ocean Mission by January 2018 to explore and harness mineral resources beneath the ocean floor.
4. India and Germany have signed an agreement on technical cooperation under the Indo-German Energy Programme – Green Energy Corridors (IGEN-GEC). The main objective of this programme is to improve the sector framework and conditions for grid integration of renewable energies with conventional power grids.
5. International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the UN global nuclear watchdog has opened world’s first low Enriched Uranium (LEU) Bank in Oskemen in Kazakhstan. It will be the first of its kind LEU bank not to be under control of any individual country. The IAEA also manages 123 tons of uranium in Angarsk, Russia but it is under the control of Russian government.
6. The Geographical Indications Registry (GIR) has granted geographical indication (GI) status to Gobindobhog rice, a speciality from Burdwan district of. West Bengal. Gobindobhog variety of rice is a short grain, white, aromatic, sticky rice having a sweet buttery flavor. It derives its name from principal ingredient usage in preparation of offerings to Govindajiu, the family deity of Setts of Kolkata.
7. The Reserve Bank of India( RBI) has introduced two denomination bank notes of Rs 200 and Rs 50 in the Mahatma Gandhi ( New) series bearing the signature of RBI Governor Urjit Patel.
8. In 3 years Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana scheme unleashed JAM revolution which includes PMJDY, AADHAAR and mobile. It is that effort which linked 73.62 cr accounts with about 52.4 cr unique Aadhaar Numbers in India.
9. Tensions are expected to escalate between Japan and North Korea after the latter fired a ballistic missile over Japan’s Northern Hokkaido Island into the sea.
10. The Ministry of Textiles has proposed to organize Pan India camps in handlooms and handicrafts clusters under the Hastkala Sahyog Shivir initiative to commemorate the birth anniversary of Pandit Deen Dhayal Upadhyay
11. Kerala CM launched the host city logo for FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017. The official Mascot is a clouded leopard called Kheleo.