1. The revamping of “ Khelo India programme “ which aims at mainstreaming sport as tool for individual development, community development, economic development and national development was approved by the Union cabinet. It strives to promote “Sports for All” as well as “Sports for Excellence”. This is for first time a long-term athlete development pathway will be made available to gifted and talented youngsters to excel in competitive sports.
2. The approval for rationalization/merger and modernization plan of 17 Government of India Presses (GIPs)/Units into 5 GIPs was given by the Union Cabinet. The five GIPs are located at Rashtrapati Bhavan, Minto Road and Mayapuri in New Delhi; Nashik (Maharashtra) and Temple Street (Kolkata, West Bengal). The modernization will enable these GIPs to undertake important confidential, urgent and multi-color printing work of Central Government Offices all over country. It will be carried out at zero cost to exchequer and without any retrenchment.
3. Chabahar Port in Iran will be operational by end of 2018 said by the Union Government in its report. India and Iran signed “historic” Chabahar port agreement in May 2016 which has the potential of becoming India’s gateway to Afghanistan, Central Asia and Europe. It can be easily accessed from India’s western coast, bypassing Pakistan. Chabahar port is strategically located in southeastern Sistan-Balochistan province on Gulf of Oman, near energy-rich Iran’s border with Pakistan. Iran is expected to send application to EXIM Bank of India for providing first tranche of loan from the $150 million credit line to activate the contract between India and Iran for Chabahar Port. Under it, India will develop and operate for 10 years of two terminals and five berths. It will be a “win-win” situation for India, Iran and Afghanistan as it would serve as growth engine for entire region.
4. The CM of Andhra Pradesh N. Chandra Babu Naidu announced that the state will be declared ODF ( Open defecation Free ) by March 2018 as a part of Swachhata Hi Seva Campaign. This was announced during the collector’s conference in Vijayawada. Swachhata Hi Seva Campaign was launched on 15th Sep 2017 and will conclude by Oct 2017.It calls upon all the citizens across the country to participate actively through Shramdaan for the cause of Swachhata.
5. Cleanliness drive in Other States :
In Telangana - mass construction of toilets were initiated
In Maharashtra- the focus has been mainly on Shramdaan.
In Mizoram- the cleanliness drive was carried out in important and iconic places along with solid and liquid waste management activities.
In Chhattisgarh – Solid and Liquid Resource Management was the main focus.
In Jammu & Kashmir –the administration and common people joined hand in hand to clean their respective areas.
In Madhya Pradesh – more than 2 lakh pits were dug on 17th Sep 2017 with the intention of turning them into at least 1 lakh toilets by 2nd Oct 2017.
In Punjab – The cleanliness drive gained momentum with major activities being undertaken including cleaning of drains , cremation places, ponds , roads.
In Jharkhand - the main focus was on IHLL pit digging and conducting cleanliness drives at Schools, village, street , community place, religious place, jail and Anganwadi centres and sanitation pledge at the village level and block level
In Rajasthan – Swachchta Chitran , a campaign where Block Level officers, motivators and masons took to the streets to paint on public walls, water tanks and other such public places.
In Uttarakhand – Swachhta Raths along with nukkad nataks were launched to create awareness among the community members.
6. A Food experience Zone named “Food street” will be introduced at “ global food fair” by the Union government in New Delhi . The event will be used as a platform to attract investment in food processing sector. Chef Sanjeev Kapoor will be the brand ambassador of the World Food India 2017.
7. The Union Cabinet has approved additional investment towards Supplementary nutrition for Anganwadi Children and for out of school adolescent girls under Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS)
8. Sep 21 – International Day of Peace was observed across the World with the theme of 2017 , Together for Peace : Respect , Safety and Dignity for all.
9. The 6th edition of the 4 day International textile and apparel fair , ‘VASTRA 2017 ‘ was inaugurated in Jaipur on 21st Sep 2017 at Jaipur Exhibition and Convention Centre (JECC), Sitapura by the Union minister Smriti Zubin Irani and Rajasthan Chief minister Vasundara Raje. It was jointly organised by Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investment Corporation Ltd. (RIICO) and Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI). More than 50 countries and 13 Indian States participated in VASTRA 2017.
10.The Union Cabinet Chaired by PM Modi approved the Home ministry’s proposal for the extension of Udaan Scheme in J& K till Dec 2018 without any modification and cost escalation . Udaan Scheme is a national integration scheme which aims at main streaming the youths of J& K with rest of the country.
11. The Centre is planning to start helicopter and smaller aircraft services to hilly areas, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep islands under the second phase of UDAN scheme .
12. In order to tap into the next big advance in computing technology, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) is planning to fund project to develop quantum computers . Experts from across country are expected to gather in Allahabad for a workshop to develop such computer. Quantum computer is computer design which uses principles of quantum physics to increase computational power beyond attainable limits of traditional computer. It employs complex principles of quantum mechanics to store information in ‘qubits’ (quantum bit) instead of the typical binary ‘bits’ of 1 &0.
13. To study changes caused by dams, climate change, human interventions and eventual effects on river eco-system, the Union Government is planning to safeguard fast-eroding Majuli island — world’s largest riverine island using research carried out on floating Brahmaputra Biodiversity and Biology Boat (B4) labs along Brahmaputra River. It will constantly monitor impact of various environmental and anthropological factors that affect river and conduct research to mitigate effects.
14. The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) commissioned two high-speed interceptor boats C-433 and C-434 boats to strengthen the security umbrella over720-km-long Maharashtra coastline at the Dighi Port in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It will also help in patrolling and prevent illicit activities such as smuggling, infiltration and illegal fishing. The C-433 and C-434 boats were built by Larsen & Toubro (L&T) Shipbuilding in Chennai.
15. The Union Cabinet has approved introduction of Dentists (Amendment) Bill, 2017 in Parliament subject to modifications of drafting as may be considered necessary by Legislative Department. The Bill seeks to amend the Dentists Act, 1948 to include certain modifications in order to reduce the redundancy.
16. The Union Government has issued gazette notification, notifying that Peer-to-peer lending (P2P) platforms will be treated as non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) and thus regulated by Reserve Bank of India (RBI). This notification will help P2P lenders to gain official recognition and opens new avenues for fund-raising and business expansion. It also ends the regulatory vacuum in which P2P lending firms were operating.17. India is collaborating with Russia to build Rooppur nuclear power plant in Bangladesh. It will be first initiative under an India-Russia nuclear deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries. It will also be India’s first atomic energy venture abroad.