1. Jagdish Mukhi was sworn in as new Governor of Assam. He was administered oath of office by Gauhati High Court Chief Justice Ajit Singh..He succeeded Banwarilal Purohit who has been appointed as the Governor of Tamil Nadu.
2. The first BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise-2017 (DMEx-2017) conducted by National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency in the National Capital Region (NCR) from October 10-13, 2017 was held in New Delhi, India. The main focus of BIMSTEC DMEx-2017 was to create synergy and synchronize efforts to institutionalize regional cooperation and inter-governmental coordination for Disaster Management among BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) member countries.
3. India was ranked 8th out of 100 countries on a list of most valuable nation brands according to Brand Finance’s recently released Nation Brands 2017 report. This year India slipped by one spot compared to 7th rank in 2016 and ceded its previous spot to Canada. Top 10 Valuable Nation brands are United States (1st), China (2nd), Germany (3rd), Japan (4th), United Kingdom (5th), France (6th), Canada (7th), India (8th), Italy (9th) and South Korea (10th).
4. Nisha Desai Biswal ,former US Assistant Secretary of State for South and Central Asia was appointed as President of US-India Business Council (USIBC)
5. Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), under Union Ministry of Culture in collaboration with National Geographic Society (NGS) has organized the International conference on “Dialogue of Civilizations – IV” which was held from October 8 –15, 2017 at Delhi, Gandhinagar and Dholavira. The purpose of conference is to encourage scholarly and public discourse about five ancient, literate civilizations of the world, i.e. South Asia, Egypt, Mesopotamia, China and Mesoamerica. It also aims to encourage study of the past to share our present and future towards the right direction. The first conference of this series was inaugurated in Guatemala in 2013 followed by Turkey in 2014 and China in 2015. The present conference is the fourth in this series, with the final dialogue planned in Egypt.
6. The Union Government will soon get Cabinet approval for setting up of high-powered think tank under Ministry of Petroleum to look into key issues related to oil and gas sector. The think will give advice on technology, setting up a gas network, attracting more FDI in sector, reducing India’s oil imports by 10%, and developing innovative new models of financing projects.
7. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) in its October World Economic Outlook (WEO) has lowered India’s economic growth forecast at 6.7% in 2017 and 7.4% in 2018. The report has cited impact of demonetisation and implementation of Goods and Services Tax (GST) for expected slowdown during the current and the next year. It also held that India’s slowdown is happening even as the world economy is picking up steam. But it expects revival of growth in future due to structural reform.
8. India and Japan signed an MoC on establishing a liquid, flexible and global Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Market which was approved by the Union Cabinet. The MoC aims to promote bilateral relationship between India and Japan in the energy sector. It also seeks to contribute to the diversification of gas supplies for India to strengthen energy security and provide more competitive prices for consumers.
9. The status change of International Association of Marine Aids to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities (IALA) from Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) to Inter-Governmental Organization (IGO) was approved by the Union Cabinet. The move will bring IALA at par with International Maritime Organisation (IMO) and International Hydrographic Organisation (IHO).
10. Oct 11- International Day of the Girl Child is observed every year to recognize girls’ rights and the unique challenges girls face around the world. 2017 theme is ‘EmPOWER girls: Before, during and after conflict’. It aims to end humanitarian emergencies especially gender-based violence in which girls are more likely to be subjected to sexual and physical violence, child marriage, exploitation and trafficking.
11. Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) has organized the 44th edition of Indian Handicrafts and Gifts (IHGF)-Delhi Fair was held at India Expo Centre and Mart on outskirts of Delhi in Greater Noida and was inaugurated by Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani.
12. India and Japan signed an MoC on the Technical Intern Training Program (TITP). Which was approved by the Union Cabinet. It is expected that MoC will pave way for bilateral cooperation between two countries in the area of skill development.The Technical Intern Training Program (TITP) is ambitious program to send Indian technical interns to Japan for on job training for a period of three to five years.
13. A tripartite agreement was signed between National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) and state level executing agencies Uttar Pradesh Jal Nigam and Uttarakhand Pey Jal Nigam and with concessionaires to build India’s first Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) under Hybrid Annuity Mode which is going to come up in Haridwar (Uttarakhand) and Varanasi (Uttar Pradesh).
14. The two World Bank supported schemes Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) and Skill Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement (STRIVE) to boost Skill India Mission were approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) .
15. Oct 13- The International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) is to promote a global culture of risk-awareness and disaster reduction with the theme of 2017 is “Home Safe Home: Reducing Exposure, Reducing Displacement”. It seeks to raise global awareness about effective actions, policies and practices taken to reduce exposure to disaster risk at community level, thereby contributing to saving homes and livelihoods.
16. Indian Naval Ships Satpura and Kadmatt participated in Passage Exercise (PASSEX) with Japanese Marine Self Defence Force (JMSDF) held at Sasebo, Japan. The visit of these ships is part India’s initiatives to strengthen long standing, mutually supportive and strong relationship between Japan and India.
17. Index of Industrial Production (IIP) ( Measure of Factory output) has grown nine-month high to 4.3% in August 2017 According to data released by Central Statistics Office (CSO). This was mainly due to a robust performance of the mining and power sectors.
18. The clinical trials of two experimental Ebola vaccines cAd3-EBOZ and rVSV-ZEBOV were found to be safe and capable of eliciting immune response against Ebola virus that lasts for at least one year.
19. Sampoorna Bima Gram (SBG) Yojana and expanded coverage of Postal Life Insurance (PLI) in a bid to provide affordable life insurance services to people particularly those living in rural areas was launched by the Union government. Coverage of all households in identified Sampoorna Bima Gram village is primary objective of this scheme. Under SBG Yojana, at least one village (having a minimum of 100 households) will be identified in each of revenue districts of country to cover all households of identified village with minimum of one RPLI (Rural Postal Life Insurance) policy each.
20. The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has raised Rs. 660 crore as Fully Serviced Bonds. The entire amount of Rs.660 crore was raised in single tranche at a coupon rate of 7.47%.and the oversubscribed bonds were issued through e-bidding on BSE Portal.
21. “Mitra Shakti 2017” the 5th edition of India-Sri Lanka joint training exercise was held Aundh Military Station in Pune, Maharshtra. The two weeks exercise (October 13 and 25) is based on Counter Terrorist Operations (CTO) and In fantry company from both countries are participating in it.