1. The 10 day long traditional festival of Losar was celebrated in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir to mark the beginning of New Year in this Himalayan region. Losar is Tibetan word for ‘new year’. It is considered to be the most important festival of the region. It is an important social and religious celebration in Ladakh. Ladakhi Buddhists make religious offering before their deities in the domestic shrines or in the Gompas.
2. The Union Minister of Commerce and Industry Minister Suresh Prabhu while speaking at event organised by Apparel Export Promotion Council, AEPC in New Delhi have announced that India is planning to host meeting of World Trade Organisation (WTO) member countries in February 2018 to muster support for food security and other issues.
3. The Union Minister of State (MoS) for Health and Family Welfare Ashwini Kumar Choubey in Lok Sabha announced that the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) has granted permission to Indian firm to conduct Phase-I clinical trials for a Zika vaccine. Zika Virus is spread by Aedes egypti mosquito. It is spread vector borne diseases.
4. National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) in collaboration with United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction-Global Education and Training Institute (UNISDR-GETI) have organized the first national-level training of trainers programme to sensitise various Central Ministries and Departments on utilisation of Sendai Framework for developing action plans for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) was held in New Delhi. It aimed at building capacity of participants to utilise defined indicators to monitor progress of Sendai targets. It also provided training modules to enable them to lead consultations and train others on the monitoring of the Sendai Framework Targets.
5. The national drug pricing regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has notified prices of 65 essential formulations, including those used for treatment of diabetes, pain, infections and high blood pressure. All the manufacturers of these 65 formulations have to furnish quarterly returns to NPPA through IPDMS (Integrated Pharmaceutical DataBase Management System). The 65 essential formulations fall under scheduled I formulations under Drugs (Prices Control) Order (DPCO), 2013. Besides, any manufacturer intending to discontinue production of any of 65 drugs has to furnish information to NPPA, with respect to discontinuation of production of drug or its import, at least six months prior to intended date of discontinuation.
6. An MoU was signed between the Union Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship and Maruti Suzuki India Limited to support Skill India Mission in automobile industry. and also aims to provide high employment potential trades related to automobile and manufacturing industry to youth under Skill India Mission. The company will conduct courses include Manufacturing, Automotive Body Repair, Automotive Service & Repair and Automotive Paint Repair at pan-India locations leveraging facilities and services available at ITIs, training centers of training partners, regional training centers, vendors and dealers associated with Maruti Suzuki. All these courses will be approved by NCVT (National Council for Vocational Training) and it will award certificates to all candidates after completion of the course.
7. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has secured its sixth –straight term in the state of Gujarat ( Election 2017). Out of the total 182 seats , the party won 99 seats . Congress had won 77 seats , NCP( Nationalist Congress Party ) won 1 seat and Bharatiya Tribal Party won 2 seats and three independent candidates also won the people’s mandate.
8. The Bharatiya Janata Party won 2017 Himachal Pradesh Assembly Elections by sweeping 44 of Himachal Pradesh’s 68 seats.INC 21, Independents 2 and 1 CPM.
9. The United States Federal Communications Commission voted along party lines to repeal the 2015 Open Internet Order which protects net neutrality in the United States. The proposal put forward by FCC Chairman Ajit Pai and approved by 3-2 vote.
10. The International Energy Agency report reveals that Coal –fired power generation in India may grow at nearly 4% per year through 2022 and import of thermal coal is likely to decrease in the diverse initiatives being taken by the govt of India to reduce coal imports.
11. The Expert Appraisal Committee of the Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change accorded environment clearance for the Kaleshwaram irrigation project in Telangana. The project seeks to provide drinking water facility for Hyderabad and Secunderabad.It aims to provide irrigation facility in 7.38 lakh hectares covering 7 districts.
12. The National Green Tribunal (NGT ) recently banned plastic items in towns located along the baks of river Ganga.
13. The double Olympian Sushil Kumar won the gold medal for India in the final of the 74 kg free style category at the Common Wealth Wrestling Championship 2017 in Johannesburg, South Africa. India’s Praveen Rana won a bronze medal in the same category.14.PM Modi recently dedicated 60 MW Tuirial Hydro electric power project was dedicated to the nation in MIzoram. This Turial HEPP has been constructed as Central Sector Power Project and implemented by the North Eastern Electric Power Corporation . This is the biggest power project located in Mizoram.