1. Anshu Jamsenpa (from Bomdila in Arunachal Pradesh) became the first Indian woman to scale the Mt. Everest for the fourth time.
2. In Karnataka, a major exercise of Elephant census began on 17th May 2017 across all protected areas and forests of the state that were identified to harbor elephant population. Earlier the Census was held in 2012 due to this the elephant population pegged to 6072.
3. Renowned biologist Dr. Purnima Devi Barman was nominated for prestigious Whitley awards( Green Oscar) for her efforts and campaign to save the Greater Adjutant Stork . She has been working with Dadra, Pachariya and Hingimari villages of Kamrup district of Assam. She is associated with Aaranyak , a Guwhati based NGO which works for conservation of wild life.
4. David Letterman was awarded with the Mark Twain Prize 2017 for American Humour . He is the one whowas the longest – running host of the late night TV shows in the United States. He is also a past recipient of Kennedy Centre Honours for his influence on American Culture.
5. The National Green Tribunakl (NGT) has ordered that any vehicle found over -speeding inside the Kaziranga National Park ( Assam) will have to pay an environment compensation of 5000 rupees under MV act ( Motor vehicles Act)
6. PFRDA –CRISIL report titled ‘ Financial Security for India’s elderly – The imperatives’ on 15th May 2017 said that India will gradually transform young to” greying country “ and by 2050 every 5th Indian will be in the 60s as against ever 12th at present. In 2015 almost 90 % of the population was below the age of 60 years and the working population stood at 44%.
7. West Bengal Government led by Mamata Banerjee has made Bengali Compulsory in all schools including Private English medium Schools.
8. Edourad Phillippe was named as the Prime minister of France. He is a member of Les Republicans Party.
9. The MoU was signed by S Anantha Chandra Bose Chairman of VO Chidambaranar Port Trust and M Sai kumar Chairman & MD of TANGEDCO for the upgardation of Coal Jetty I & II from 6.25 MTPA to 24 MPTA.
10. India and Palestine were inked five agreements for co-operation in various sectors during the state visit of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to India.
11. The ICC ( International Cricket Council) has raised the total prize money for Champions Trophy is USD 500000.
12. Canada recently unveiled a dinosaur had been preserved in a stone for 110 million years.
13. The Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology ( IIEST) has successfully created the Country’s first Smart Grid Project.
14. Mr. Venkaiah Naidu had announced a separate 24x7 DD Channel for the state of Jharkhand .
15. Italy had upheld the ban on Sikhs carrying their ceremonial knives.
16. Tariq Mansoor was appointed as the Vice chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University.
17. ITD ( Income Tax department ) has initiated “ Operation Clean Money “Portal to investigate tax evaders.
18. Sri Lanka which was a participant of China’s One Belt One Road (OBOR) conference in Beijing on 16th May 2017.India boycotted the meeting due to its sovereignty concerns over the US $50 billion CPEC( China-Pakistan Economic Corridor) which goes through Pakistan –Occupied Kashmir.
19. May 17 – World Telecommunication and Information Society Day and the Theme for 2017 is ”Big Data for Big Impact “
20.The Country of Yemen recently declared a state of emergency over Cholera outbreak .
Prepared by D.Sarala, Viluppuram