1. The World’s largest conference on cyber space and related issues will be hosted by India in New Delhi in November 2017. The theme for the GCCS 2017 is ‘Cyber4All: An Inclusive, Sustainable, Developmental, Safe and Secure Cyberspace‘.
2. The Union Finance Ministry has launched a pension scheme exclusively for senior citizens aged 60 years and above named “Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY”. Under this scheme, senior citizens will get a guaranteed interest of 8% for 10 years depending upon the investment made by them.
3. India’s Karamjyoti Dalal has won bronze medal at the World Para Athletics Championships 2017 in the discus-throw.
4. Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY), a sub-scheme under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) launched by the Union Ministry of Rural Development AGEY aims to provide an alternative source of livelihood to members of Self Help Groups (SHGs) by facilitating them to operate public transport services in backward rural areas.
5. The Lok Sabha has passed The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Amendment) Bill, 2017. The Bill amends the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act (RTE), 2009 to extend the deadline for teachers to acquire the prescribed minimum qualifications for appointment.
6. The researchers from University of Hyderabad have found that Castor bean plants can prove useful in fighting soil pollution. It was found that these plants can absorb toxic heavy metals from soil from these polluted areas due to industrial pollution.
7. USS Gerald R Ford (CVN 78), the world’s largest nuclear-powered aircraft carrier at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia was officially inducted by The United States (US) Navy. Its operational deployment will be in 2021 after undergoing final outfitting and testing. It is the most advanced aircraft carrier in the world. USS Gerald Ford is first in the series of three of the futuristic ships of the Ford-class carriers ordered by US Navy.
8. 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup title was won by England by defeating India by 9 runs at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London.
9. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved sale of government’s 51.11% stake along with management control in HPCL (Hindustan Petroleum) to ONGC. HPCL will continue as PSU after the acquisition.
10. India witnessed third highest number of terrorist attacks in 2016, more than Pakistan according to the Country Report on Terrorism released by the US State Department. Iraq stands first.
11. Iran and Iraq signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to step up military cooperation and the fight against terrorism and extremism.
12. Former chairman of ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization) and Internationally-renowned space scientist Udupi Ramachandra Rao (85) passed away in Bengaluru. Prof Rao is credited with having played an instrumental role in building up Indian satellite programmes right from nation’s first satellite Aryabhatta
13. Spanish scientists have discovered novobiocin compound that could be used as a potential drug to fight the effects of a Zika virus infection. The Zika virus has been named after Zika forest in Uganda where it was first isolated in 1947. Zika virus is vector borne disease transmitted primarily by Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, the same mosquito that transmits dengue.
14. Ace Indian Shuttler H S Prannoy defeated his compatriot Parupalli Kashyap in the final match held at Anaheim, California and won the 2017 Yonex US Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament title. It was his third grand prix gold title of badminton. In the women’s singles category of the tournament, Aya Ohori of Japan won the final by defeating Michelle Li of Canada.
15. Gopal Baglal was appointed as the Joint Secretary of Prime Minister’s PMO.His appointment was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) for a period of three years.
16. Union Government sanctioned funds for the 50 buses from its “ Nirbhaya Fund “ to launch all -women “ Pink “ Ac buses with CCTV cameras in Uttar Pradesh .
17. Sanjay Kothari was appointed as the Secretary to President Ram Nath Govind
18. The State of Kerala will be hosting the 5th edition of South India’s Writers Ensemble ( SIWE) with the core theme “ Tolerance “
19. The Supreme Court asked the Secretary of Ministry of Consumer Affairs to think over finding ways and means to effectively implement the provisions of the National Food Security (NFS Act) , 2013 in “ Letter and spirit”.
20. Israel and Palestine stressed importance of immediate re-opening of Al Aqsa Mosque for worshippers.
21. IRCTC is planning to install around 1100 water vending machines at 450 stations across the country between 2017 and 2018.
22. The State Government of Madhya Pradesh has appointed a four member food commission headed by retd IAS Rajkishore Swain on 21st July 2017 for monitoring implementation of the provisions of NFS act 2013 in the state.
23. Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill 2017 was introduced in the Lok Sabha which empowers RBI to issue other directions for resolution, appoint or approve authorities or committees to advise the banking companies for stressed asset resolution.
24. NASA has extended invitation to eclipse viewers from around America to participate in a Nationwide science experiment during US total Solar eclipse .
25. The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development on 24th July 2017 has launched an online portal ‘SHE-box” (Sexual Harassment Electronic Box) to enable women employees of the central government to file complaints related to sexual harassment at the work place.