1. Nov 14- World Diabetes Day. It is observed every year to raise awareness about diabetes and also to promote and improve human health and provide access to health-care treatment and education.This year theme is “Women and diabetes – Our right to a healthy future’. It aims to promote affordable access to essential diabetes medicines and technologies for all women with diabetes to achieve optimal diabetes outcomes and strengthen their capacity to prevent type 2 diabetes.
2. India Youth Development Index (IYDI) and Report 2017 was released by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports to track the trends in Youth Development across the States. The India Youth Development Index will enable to recognize high and low performing states, identify weak domains and inform the policy makers the priority areas of intervention for youth development in the states. The Index has been developed by Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD), Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu.
3. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided not to pursue a proposal to introduce Islamic banking in India. Decision in this regard was taken after considering wider and equal opportunities available to all citizens to access banking and financial services. The proposal to introduce Islamic banking was first made in 2008 by a committee on financial sector reforms chaired by former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan.
4. IEAG-MR as advised for MCV (measles containing vaccine) to cover whole country by 2018. Presently, 13 states have been covered by the vaccination campaign. The campaign is largest ever in any campaign against MR, targeting around 41 crore children across country. The India Expert Advisory Group on Measles & Rubella (IEAG-MR) has commended India on progress of measles and rubella vaccination campaign. It reviewed existing strategies and efforts towards measles elimination and control of rubella. It concluded that India is on the right track. The target group covered under it are all children aged between 9 months and less than 15 years.
5. India is overtaking China to become world’s largest emitter of anthropogenic Sulphur Dioxide (SO2) as per study published by researchers at University of Maryland.
6. Country’s largest time-bound “up skilling” exercise for its employees to boost their efficiency- Project Saksham was launched by the Indian Railways to upgrade the skillsets of 13 lakh-strong workforce of Indian Railways with a single drive spanning nine months. It will start in January 2018 and go on till September 2018.
7. During his three-day visit to attend ASEAN-India and East Asia summits, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated rice field laboratory named after him International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Banos in Philippines.
8. Former Culture Minister Audrey Azoulay was appointed as the new Director General of UNESCO.
9. India’s first ever ‘Air Dispensary ‘based in a helicopter is set to come up in the north east. DoNER (The Union Ministry of Development of North East ) has already contributed Rs 25 crore as part of the initial funding for the initiative. The helicopter will be based at two locations – Imphal in Manipur and Meghalaya in Shillong.
10. Film Maker Sujoy Ghosh on 14th November 2017 resigned as Head of Jury of the Indian Panorama of the 48th International Film Festival of India( IFFI). His resignation came following the elimination of the two films “Sexy Durga” and “Nude” from the final list of films.
11. The 10th South Asia Economic Summit (SAES) has begun in Kathmandu, Nepal with the theme “Deepening Economic Integration for Inclusive and Sustainable Development in South Asia”.
12. India and Philippines have signed four agreements to strengthen bilateral ties during PM Modi visit to Manila, the Philippines to attend the 15th India-Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit and 12th East Asia Summit.
13. West Bengal on 14th Nov 2017 won the long bitter battle over Rosgulla as Geographical Indications (GI), a Chennai -based Registry announced that one of India’s signature sweets originated in the state and not Odisha.
14. India is likely to achieve strong growth over the next decade and emerge as the world’s third- largest economy, overtaking Japan in nominal GDP by 2028, says a report titled ‘India 2028’ by Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
15. India’s first Tribal Entrepreneurship Summit has begun in Dantewada, a district in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh. The event was organized by NITI Aayog in partnership with the government of USA.the event is a part of 8th Global Entrepreneurship summit being held in India.