1. India’s first mega coastal economic zone (CEZ) is going to set up at Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT) in Maharashtra. About 45 companies across auto, telecom and IT sectors will soon bid for 200 hectares of land to set up manufacturing units in zone. The first of its kind mega CEZ will stretch along north Konkan region spread across Mumbai, Thane, Pune, Nashik and Raigarh. CEZ will be developed as part of plan for developing 14 such industrial clusters to spur manufacturing and generate jobs. The plan envisages total investment of Rs 15,000 crore in first phase and creation of more than 1.5 lakh jobs.
2. Joint Indo-Bangladesh Training Exercise SAMPRITI 2017 was culminated at Counter Insurgency & Jungle Warfare School, Vairengte in Mizoram. It was 7th edition of exercise in SAMPRITI series which is held alternately in India and Bangladesh every year with aim to build and promote positive relations between armies of two neighbours. The 13-day exercise also aimed to enhance interoperability between two nations and enrich from each other’s experience while carrying out counter-insurgency or counter-terrorism operations.
3. World’s first fully electric cargo ship was launched by China in Guangzhou, capital city of Guangdong province. The ship will be mainly used to run in inland section of Pearl River for carrying coal for generation of electric power. It is the first ship in the world to use lithium ion battery. As the ship does not use fossil fuels, it has zero emission, including carbon, sulphur and PM2.5 which will help to protect water quality and marine life. It can be used as passenger liner or a working ship. It is 70.5 meters long and is powered by 26-tonne lithium battery. It has battery energy of about 2400 kilowatt (kw) hours which is same energy of 40 new energy cars. It can run 80 kilometers after being charged for two hours. Its highest speed is 12.8 kilometers per hour. The 2000-metric-ton ship was manufactured by the Guangzhou Shipyard International Company Ltd.
4. The Union Ministry of Railways has advanced target for 100% completion of installing human waste discharge free Bio-toilets in coaches to December 2018. The new target was announced at event titled “Indian Transport Sector: Marching towards sustainable mobility” at Conference of Parties (COP-23), Indian pavilion at Bonn, Germany.Earlier, the target to install bio-toilets in all its coaches as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission was by September 2019.
5. The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs is organising Hunar Haat at India International Trade Fair (IITF) at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi under Upgrading the Skills & Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development (USTTAD) scheme at different parts of country. It displayed exquisite pieces of handicraft and handloom prepared by master artisans from across the country. It has become successful mission to provide employment and employment opportunities and national as well international markets for thousands of master artisans, craftsmen and culinary experts.
6. The Petroleum Ministry in consultation with Public Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) has decided for preponement of BS-VI grade auto fuels in National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi from 1st April 2018 instead of 1st April 2020 to reduce vehicular emissions and improve fuel efficiency with an aim to reduce the carbon footprints and keep a healthy environment. Bharat stage norms are emission standards instituted by Government to regulate output of air pollutants from internal combustion engine equipment, including motor vehicles. The standards are based on European regulations and were first introduced in 2000. Switch to BS-VI norms will also reduce concentration of carbon monoxide (CO), unburnt hydrocarbons, nitrous oxide (NOx) and particulate matter from emissions.
7. RBI Governor Urjit Patel was appointed to Financial Stability Institute Advisory Board (FSAB) or Bank of International Settlement (BIS). BIS is international financial organisation owned by 60 member central banks across the world
8. India Road Assessment Programme (IndiaRAP) was unveiled by Global Charity to rate highways’ safety levels and to eliminate the most unsafe roads. The IndiaRAP programme is supported by FedEx Express and will be hosted by Asian Institute of Transport Development. It will work with government agencies as well as investors, researchers and NGOs to assess existing highways and promote use of better design to make roads safer. Since 2010, teams from global organisation have already undertaken star rating assessments on more than 10,000 km of roads across several states in India.
9. The Union Ministry of Power launched National Power Portal (NPP) NPP is centralised system for Indian Power Sector. It will facilitate online data capture, input (daily, monthly, annually) from generation, transmission and distribution utilities in country. It will also disseminate Power Sector Information (operational, capacity, demand, supply, consumption etc.through various analysed reports, graphs, statistics for generation, transmission and distribution at all India, state, regional level for central, state and private sector. It can be accessed at http://npp.gov.in. Central Electricity Authority (CEA) is nodal agency for implementation and operational control of NPP.
10. ‘Sagar Kavach’- joint security exercise between Odisha and west Bengal. to further tighten the existing coastal security mechanism along the 630 km long coastline. In the exercise, they had organised simulated terror attack named ‘red force’ at random place along Odisha or West Bengal coast and check effectiveness of marine policing. The participants in drill were personnel from Indian Navy, ICG at Paradip and Haldia, 18 marine police stations in Odisha and 12 police stations of West Bengal.
11. The 10th South Asia Economic Summit (SAES-2017) was held in Kathmandu, Nepal. The 3-day summit was organised by National Planning Commission and Ministry of Commerce of Nepal and South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics and Environment, Nepal. The theme of 2017 is Deepening Economic Integration for Inclusive and Sustainable Development in South Asia”.
12. The 15th Asia Pacific Computer Emergency Response Team (APCERT) Conference organised by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) under the aegis of Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology was held in New Delhi. It is first ever conference to be held in India and South Asia. 300 delegates from 21 economies especially from Asia Pacific region, USA, Europe, Industry, Academia, Government and Media attended the conference. The theme of conference was “Building Trust in the Digital Economy”. ..
13. The Union Government launched BHARAT-22 Exchange Traded Fund (ETF). Bharat 22 Index comprise of 22 stocks including those of central public sector enterprises (CPSEs), public sector banks (PSBs) and its holdings under the Specified Undertaking of Unit Trust of India (SUUTI).
14. Google doodle celebrated the 151st birthday of Cornelia Sorabji, the first woman to practice law in India and England. She was first woman to graduate in law from India as early as 1892 and first Indian national to attend British University. She was pioneer who helped open up higher education as well as the legal profession to women. She had published two autobiographies viz. India Calling: The Memories of Cornelia Sorabji, India Recalled, a biography of her parents. She died on July 6, 1954.
15. Japan will relax its visa rule for Indians from 1 Jan 2018 and issue multiple –entry visa for short term say.
16. Leonardo Da Vinci’s Christ painting known by the name “ Salvator Mundi” an Italian Phrase for “Savior of the World “ sold for record of USD 450 million.
17. Nov 16 – International Day for Tolerance was observed with an aim to bolster UN’s commitment to strengthen tolerance in the world by fostering mutual understanding among cultures and peoples. UN has launched a new campaign called “Together “ to promote tolerance, respect and dignity across the world.
18.Nov 16 – World Philosophy Day. This was observed across the world i.e. on third Thursday of November to renew the national, sub –regional , regional and international commitment to philosophy and to foster the same .