1. The draft of MoU in urban transport sector for cooperation in policy planning, technology transfer and institutional organization was finalised by Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari and Chris Grayling, Secretary of State for Transport of UK in London. The draft MoU seeks to facilitate cooperation in transport sector between both countries and enable sharing of expertize and latest technology to promote efficient mobility solutions. India and United Kingdom (UK) will soon sign Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in urban transport sector.
2. Tourism and Hospitality Sector Skill Council (THSC) and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) signed a tripartite MoU with Airbnb, the world’s leading community-driven hospitality company. The MoU aims to empower more citizens, including those in underserved areas and rural to join alternate accommodation sector and pursue new livelihood opportunities by sharing their homes. The MoU was signed in line with Government’s endeavor to promote entreprenuership under Government’s Skill India Programme. It will also provide hospitality micro-entrepreneurs in India.
3. Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) had launched India Hypertension Management Initiative ( IHMI) with an aim to reduce disability and death related to cardiovascular disease (CVD), the leading cause of death in India. It also aims to strengthen CVD component of Health Ministry’s National Program for Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS).
4. The Union Ministry of Power launched Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana (SAUBHAGYA) in Manipur. Total of approximately 1.75 lakh households (1 .62 lakh rural households and 0.13 lakh urban households) of Manipur are proposed to be included under scheme. Union Government will provide the required financial assistance for strengthening and improvement of infrastructure in the power sector in Manipur. Under the scheme, government will provide free electricity to all households identified under Socio-Economic and Caste Census (SECC) data 2011.
5. Senior bureaucrat Badri Narain Sharma was appointed as the Chairman of National Anti-Profiteering Authority (NAA) under Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC).
6. The High Level Inter-Governmental Mid-Point review meeting of Asia and Pacific Decade for Persons with Disabilities, 2013-2022 was held in Beijing, China. Indian delegation was led by Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot. Its main objective was to review progress made by member States during Decade at mid-point in 2017 with regard to Incheon Strategy to make right real for persons with disabilities in Asia and Pacific.
7. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI ) has upheld the basic principles of an open and free internet in its recommendations on net neutrality. Proponents of net neutrality hold that all traffic on internet should be treated equally i.e. service providers should allow access to all content without favouring any particular product or website. Net neutrality means that telecom service providers must treat all internet traffic equally, without any regard to the type, origin or destination of the content or the means of its transmission.
8. The first phase of the 72 km elevated Hyderabad Metro Rail project was inaugurated by PM Modi on 28 Nov 2017. He took a ride on the train in its inaugural run from Miyapur station to Kukatpally station. The first phase of the project has 24 stations in the 30 km stretch between Miyapur and Nagole. This 30 Km stretch is the longest for any metro in the country at the time of inauguration. Hyderabad metro rail is the largest project of its kind in the world in the public private partnership (PPP) mode.
9. Nobel Peace laureate, Aung San Suu Kyi, has been stripped of the ‘Freedom of Oxford Award’ over her inaction in the escalating Rohingya Crisis.
10. The supreme Court on 29 Nov 2017 ruled that it cannot frame guidelines on how to investigate cases of dowry harassment as it is beyond the statutory provisions under sec 498 A .No immediate arrest under dowry harassment law.
11. Upendra Prasad Singh was newly appointed as Union Water resources Secretary