1. Jan 25- The Election Commission of India (ECI) celebrated 8th National Voters’ Day across nation for enhanced participation of citizens in electoral process with the theme ‘Accessible Elections’.
2. Jan 28 - This year the World Leprosy Day is observed on 28. It is observed internationally every year on last Sunday of January month to raise global awareness of Leprosy. Observance of the day focuses on target of zero cases of leprosy-related disabilities in children.
3. Jan 29- World Puzzles Day
4. Jan 30- Martyr’s day.
5. Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palanichamy received UNESCO Award of Merit awarded to the iconic Srirangam Ranganathaswamy temple in Tiruchirapalli. The award of merit was awarded by UNESCO Asia Pacific region for the reconstruction activities undertaken in temple without in least affecting its traditional splendour and Vedic rituals.
6. Tamil Nadu Awards 2018:
Thiruvalluvar Award – Ko. Periyannan ;Ambedkar Award – Dr.George ;BharathiyarAward – Su. Balasubramanian; Bharathidasan award –Jeeva Bharathi ; Thiru V. Ka award – Vai. Balakumaran; Periyar Award –P.Valarmathy; Anna Award – A. Subramanian; Kamarajar Award – Dinakaran; Ki.Aa. Pe. Viswanathan Award – Maruthanayagam.
7. “Stree Swabhiman Initiative” launched by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeITY) with an aim to create sustainable model for providing adolescent girls and women an access to affordable sanitary products by leveraging Common Service Centres (CSC’s).
8. Kolkata became first metro city in India to get floating market which was inaugurated by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee. The floating market is located on lake at Patuli in South Kolkata which is 400 metres long and 60 metres wide. The aim of floating market is to rehabilitate over 200 shopkeepers from nearby market that was demolished for the widening of Eastern Metropolitan Byp ass (EMB) — an important road that connects the northern parts of Kolkata o the eastern and southern tips. The lake has been transformed into the floating market similar to the one in Thailand.
9. Pulse Polio Immunization (PPI) Programme for year 2018 have launched by President Ram Nath Kovind. The event was organised on the eve of the National Immunisation Day (NID), observed on 28 January. Polio (Poliomyelitis) is a highly infectious viral disease, which mainly affects young children below age of 5.
10. Mahatma Gandhi Sarbat Vikas Yojna (MGSVY) for the welfare of the downtrodden citizen across the state was launched by the Punjab Government. The objective of scheme is to identify poor and distressed households which have been deprived of the benefits of the various welfare schemes .It will be on the line of Antyodaya principles (Antyodaya’ means rise of the last person) and will be implemented in the state’s rural areas.
11. World Trade Organization (WTO) ministerial meeting will be hosted by India in March 2018 in New Delhi. The objective of meeting is to discuss ways to revitalise WTO to ensure predictable and transparent system of rule-making in the area of international trade. The meeting will be taking place after collapse of the WTO 11th Ministerial Conference (MC 11) held in Buenos Aires in December 2017.
12. The norms of Atal Pension Yojana (APY) were relaxed by the Union finance ministry to allow small finance banks and payment banks to offer APY distribution. The move is expected to help expand coverage of the scheme and strengthen existing channels of APY distribution.
13. Alpha Design Technologies Ltd. has signed Rs. 45-crore deal with Ministry of Defence to supply indigenous simulators for gunnery and missile firing from BMP II vehicles to Indian Army.
14. The Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has inked MoU with IL&FS Transportation Networks Ltd for construction of the 14.150 km long, 2-lane bi -directional Zojila Tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir. This would be India’s longest road tunnel and longest bi-directional tunnel in Asia. On completion, the tunnel will provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh.
15. India has been ranked 177 among 180 countries in the Environmental Performance Index (EPI) – 2018.
16. India and Cambodia have signed four agreements to boost bilateral cooperation between both countries after comprehensive talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Cambodian counterpart Samdech Hun Sen in New Delhi.
17. India and Lao PDR have signed civil aviation cooperation agreement for providing SkyRev360, a comprehensive e-data gathering, invoicing and collection system. The agreement was signed between Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Lao Air Traffic Management, Department of Civil Aviation under the Government’s Make in India initiative. It helps to eliminate inaccuracies errors and delays for better revenue management with less manual processing.
18. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will embark on four-day official state visit to Palestine, Oman and UAE in February 2018. This will be the first ever visit by Indian Prime Minister to Palestine and PM Modi’s second visit to UAE and first to Oman.
19. India-Japan Smart Grid Pilot Project was inaugurated in Panipat, Haryana by State Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar in the presence of Japanese Minister Keniko Sen to solve the various complications faced by the power distribution sector. The project aims to make electricity distribution network smarter and disseminate Japanese technologies in India.
20. A new Global Centre for Cyber security headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland was launched by the World economic forum (WEF) in a bid to safeguard world from hackers and growing data breaches — especially from nation-states. The centre will become operational from March 2018.
21. The ASEAN-India Commemorative Summit was held in New Delhi to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of sectoral dialogue between two sides under the theme of “Shared Values, Common Destiny”.
22. India and Vietnam have signed two MoUs to enhance cooperation in field of information and broadcasting and space co-operation following bilateral meeting between PM Narendra Modi and his visiting counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc ahead of the India-Asean Commemorative Summit in New Delhi.
23. Senior scientist Dr V Narayanan has assumed charge as Director of ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC).
24. S Somanath was appointed as Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC).
25. For the first time China have successfully cloned two identical long-tailed macaques (monkeys), named Zhong Zhong and Hua Hua using same technique that produced Dolly sheep two decades ago. These two identical long-tailed macaques were cloned using process called somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT), which involves transferring the nucleus of cell, which includes its DNA, into egg whose nucleus is removed. This development makes them world’s first primates – the order of mammals that includes monkeys, apes and humans – to be cloned from non-embryonic cell.
26. Rotavac became first Indigenously developed vaccine from India to be pre-qualified by World Health Organisation (WHO). Rotavac conceived and developed by the Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech Limited. It protects against childhood diarrhoea caused by the rotavirus. It was developed under the joint collaboration between India and United States in area of medical research.
27. Asha Bhosle, the legendary playback singer was chosen for fifth edition of Yash Chopra Memorial Award for her outstanding contribution to the Hindi film industry.
28. Mehul Garg (10), an Indian origin boy in United Kingdom became youngest applicant in decade to achieve highest score in Mensa IQ test, beating geniuses like Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking. He scored maximum score of 162 to become a member of Mensa. His score is two points higher than Einstein and Hawking.
29. Prime Minister’s Shram Awards for the year 2016 was announced by the Ministry of Labour & Employment to 50 workers including 3 women employed in Departmental Undertakings & Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) of Central/ State Governments and Private Sector Units employing 500 or more workers. 2016 Shram Awards : Shram Ratna Award: No nomination was found suitable for it. Shram Bhushan: 12 workers from SAIL, BHEL and TATA Steel Ltd. were selected. Shram Vir/Shram Veerangana Award: 18 workers from Naval Dockyard, Ordinance Factory, Rashtriya Ispat Nigam, TATA Steel, Hindalco Industries, Paradeep Phosphates Ltd., Brahmos Aerospace were selected. Shram Shree/Shram Devi Award: 20 workers from Cement Corporation of India, Naval Ship Repair Yard, TATA Motors, Surat Lignite Power Plant, Larsen & Toubro Ltd. etc were selected.
30. President Ram Nath Kovind has announced names of recipients of year 2018 Padma awards viz. Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri. Padma Vibushan: It is the second highest civilian award.This award goes to1. Illaiyaraja Art-Music Tamil Nadu 2 Ghulam Mustafa Khan Art-Music Maharashtra 3 Parameswaran Parameswaran Literature and Education Kerala. Padma Bhushan It is the third highest civilian award.1. Pankaj Advani Sports- Billiards/Snooker Karnataka 2 Philipose Mar Chrysostom Others-Spiritualism Kerala 3 Mahendra Singh Dhoni Sports-Cricket Jharkhand 4 Alexander Kadakin (Foreigner) Public Affairs Russia 5 Ramachandran Nagaswamy Others-Archaeology Tamil Nadu 6 Ved Prakash Nanda (OCI) Literature and Education US 7 Laxman Pai Art-Painting Goa 8. Arvind Parikh Art-Music Maharashtra 9 Sharda Sinha Art-Music Bihar. Padma Shri: It is the fourth highest civilian award. This award is given to 74 recepients. Among those from TamilNadu : V Nanammal Others-Yoga , Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan Art-Folk Music . Rajagopalan Vasudevan Science and Engineering. Romulus Whitaker Others-Wildlife Conservation.
31. India’s highest peacetime military decoration Ashok Chakra posthumously awarded to Indian Air Force (IAF) Garud commando Corporal Jyoti Prakash Nirala by President Ram Nath kovind. He had laid down his life after gunning down two terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir. He is the third Ashok Chakra for the IAF and its first for ground combat. Other two IAF officers are Rakesh Sharma (first and still only Indian citizen to go to space) and Flying Officer Nirmaljit Singh Sekhon posthumously decorated with the Param Vir Chakra in 1972.
32. Gurcharan Singh Kalkat (92), noted agricultural scientist and pioneer of India’s Green Revolution, passed away in Chandigarh after a brief illness.