1. Feb 28 – World Rare Disease day is observed across the world with the theme “ Research “
1. All India police duty meet held from 24th Feb to 1st March at Vandaloor, Chennai. This is the 6th meet held at Chennai. This summit already held in 1954,1974,1991,2000 and 2006.
2. Country’s first education help centre ( 24*7) was inaugurated in Tamil Nadu by CM Edappadi K. Palanisamy. Parents and students can avail guidance and clarifying their doubts regarding education , employment and other education related information by dialing to toll free no 14417.
3. First Defence Exhibition is to be conducted from Apr 11-14, 2018 in Thiru vidanthal, Kanchipuram.
1. Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved a proposal to double the guarantee for availing credit from Rs 9500 crore to Rs 19000 crore for procuring pulses and oilseeds at the Minimum Support Price (MSP) by National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (NAFED). This decision will not only help to provide remunerative prices to farmers but will also encourage higher investment and production, which in turn will assure adequate supplies at reasonable prices for consumers.
2. Delhi government has decided to establish State Sanskrit Education Council to improve formal education of Sanskrit in Delhi.
3. The Union territory of Lakshadweep has joined in UDAY (Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana) Scheme. Lakshadweep will receive an overall net benefit of around Rs. 8 crore through the UDAY Scheme. This will be achieved by cheaper funds, reduction in AT&C (Aggregate Technical and Commercial) losses, interventions in energy efficiency, etc.
4. Avaada Power Pvt Ltd will invest Rs 3,500 crore to establish 500 MW solar projects in Andhra Pradesh. An agreement regarding this was signed at the ‘CII Partnership Summit 2018’ in Vishakhapatnam. Andhra Pradesh has a planned to achieve a goal of 18 GW of renewable energy capacities by 2021-22.
5. Union Defence Minister Nirmala Seetharaman inaugurated Tata Boeing Aerospace Ltd’s (TBAL) facility to manufacture fuselages for the AH-64 Apache helicopter in Hyderabad. This facility has been established at an area of 14,000 square metres. 350 workers have been employed at the facility. This facility will be the only global producer of fuselages for AH-64 Apache helicopter delivered by Boeing.
1. King Abdullah II of Jordan was on a three-day official visit to India from February 27, 2018 to March 1, 2018. India and Jordan signed following 12 agreements in New Delhi in presence of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and King Abdullah II of Jordan.
2. Nuclear power Plant is planned to set up at Rooppur , Bangladesh. It is a joint venture system of India and Russia. both the countries signed for the same.
Science & Technology:
1. The moon is about to get its first mobile phone network in 2019. Vodafone Germany, Nokia and Audi said that, they were jointly working to support this project. PT Scientists, a Berlin-based company, is also working on this project. A launch has been scheduled in 2019 from Cape Canaveral on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. Vodafone has appointed Nokia as its technology partner.
2. Telangana has become the second state in India to launch a mobile governance application in place for provision of G2C services. Telangana government launched “T App Folio”, a mobile governance application, for delivery of government to citizen (G2C) and business to citizen (B2C) services anytime and anywhere. T App Folio provides more than 150 services like MeeSeva services, RTA services, fee payments and bill payments, in the first phase. It has been launched in Telugu and English languages.
3. Huawei launched Huawei Balong 5G01, claimed to be world’s first 5G commercial chip which will deliver broadband speed up to 2 Gbps on 5G network. It will also support 4G network.
1. Union Finance Ministry released a roadmap for consolidation of overseas operations of public sector banks. This decision seems like a tightening measure in wake of Rs. 12636 crore scam unearthed at Punjab Bank National (PNB). As of now, the plan is to consolidate at least 35 overseas operations of the PSBs while another 69 overseas operations have been identified for further examination. State Bank of India (SBI) has the highest number of overseas branches (52), followed by Bank of Baroda (50) and Bank of India (29). In terms of Country- wise presence, PSBs have largest number of branches in United Kingdom (32) followed by Hong Kong and UAE (13 each) and Singapore (12).
1. R.Subramanyam( 1985 batch IAS officer from Arunachal Pradesh Cadre) has been appointed as the new Secretary of Higher Education department, in the Ministry of Human Resource Development. He succeeds K K Sharma. Minister of HRD – Prakash Javadekar
2. C.Chandramouli ( 1985 batch IAS officer of Tamil Nadu Cadre) has been appointed the new Secretary, Department of Personnel and Training in the Personnel ministry. Earlier, he was Registrar General of India and Census Commissioner.
3. Tarun Sridhar ( 1984 batch IAS officer of Himachal Pradesh cadre)has been appointed the new Secretary, Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairy and Fisheries.
4. Surendra Nath Tripathi ( 1984 batch IAS officer) has been made as the Secretary, Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs. He was serving as the Special Secretary in the Agriculture Ministry.
5. Rajiv Ranjan Mishra ( 1987 batch IAS officer) was appointed as the new Director General of National Mission for Clean Ganga. He was the Additional Secretary in the Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry,
6. Bipin Bihari Mullick was made as the additional secretary and financial advisor at Ministry of Culture. He was Additional secretary at the Ministry of Home Affairs.
7. Anil Gopishankar Mukim has been appointed as the Secretaty, Mines Department. He replaces Arun Kumar.
8. Inder Jit Singh has been made as the secretary (coordination) in Cabinet Secretariat. He was additional secretary (coordination).
9. P. Raghvendra Rao has been appointed as the Chemicals and Petrochemicals secretary.
10. Virat Kohli has been announced as the brand ambassador for its new independent brand Amaze by Luminous Power Technologies.
11. Vinay Kumar( IFS officer of 1992 batch) has been named the next Ambassador of India to the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
1. Para-swimmer Prasanta Karmakar was suspended for 3 years by the Paralympic Committee of India (PCI) due to allegations of recording videos of female para-swimmers at the National Championships 2017 in Jaipur.
2. Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, launched the superhero mascots for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, at the Kakezuka school in Tokyo. The winning Olympic and Paralympic mascots have not yet been named. The Olympic mascot has a futuristic blue and white chequered pattern. It is said to have a special power that enables it to move anywhere instantly. The Paralympic mascot has a pink and white design inspired by cherry blossoms. It is said to have special power to move things just by looking at them. Name for the mascots will be decided by the selection panel and a formal launch will be performed in July or August 2018. The mascots were selected through voting after designs were submitted.
3. Russia got back its Olympic membership, following its suspension from 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. It was banned by IOC due to state-sponsored doping during the Winter Olympics 2014 in Sochi.
4. Indian Wrestler Vinesh Poghat won silver in the Asia Wrestling Championship at free style by losing the gold to China’s Sun Li.
Prepared by Sarala Dhavamanoharan