1. Karnataka Chief Minister, Siddaramaiah unveiled ‘Arogya Karnataka’ (Healthy Karnataka), a healthcare scheme in their state budget 2018. Under this scheme, individuals from all below-poverty-line (BPL) households in the state will get free treatment at government hospitals.For individuals from above-poverty-line (APL) households, the State Government will bear about 30 per cent of the treatment cost.
2. Odisha State Government has launched ‘Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas’ (our village, our development) programme with an objective to reach out to the people in rural areas of Odisha and involve them in developmental activities. These video vans will move across Odisha and will highlight various welfare schemes of Government.
3. The first All-women Indian crew (Navika Sagar Parikrama) circumnavigating the globe on the Indian Navy Sailing Vessel (INSV) Tarini arrived at a port in Cape Town in South Africa on 2nd March 2018. INSV Tarini was flagged-off from Goa on 10th September 2017 by Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. INSV Tarini is expected to leave Cape Town on 14th March 2018 and return to Goa in April 2018, completing its voyage. Captain of the vessel is Lieutenant Commander Vartika Joshi. Crew members are: Lieutenant Commander Pratibha Jamwal, Lieutenant Commander P Swathi, and Lieutenant S Vijaya Devi, Lieutenant B Aishwarya and Lieutenant Payal Gupta.
Science & Technology/Defence :
1. The China Shipbuilding Industry Corporation (CSIC) has announced to build its first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Liaoning by the middle of the next decade. It was announced as part of its list of ambitions hope to achieve in weaponry and technical developments for People’s Liberation Army (PLA)- Navy by 2025. Liaoning is derived from old and unfinished Soviet hull, purchased by China from Ukraine. The Liaoning is currently only carrier in fleet, but its variant Type 001A is expected to go into full service by end of 2018. At present, China’s navy has two aircraft carriers running on conventional oil.
2. For the first time, a team of astronomers from Arizona State University have discovered signals from the period when the universe’s earliest stars emerged. The period when the universe’s earliest stars emerged is referred to as ‘Cosmic Dawn’. If the signals discovered from ‘Cosmic Dawn’ are confirmed, it could provide insights into the elusive ‘dark matter’, which is believed to form a fundamental part of our universe. Indian graduate student Nivedita Mahesh is part of the team.
1. Indian economy grew at 7.2 per cent rate and there by regained its tag of world’s fastest growing economy in quarter (Q3 - October-December 2017) of the current fiscal.
2. India’s exposure to US government securities stood at USD 144.7 billion at the end of 2017 according to data compiled by US Treasury Department. During 2017, India increased its holding of American government securities for most of the months and remained the 12th largest overseas holder of such securities.
Awards & Honours :
1. Gadchiroli book reading event created a new Guinness world record on 3rd March 2018by breaking the Guinness world record created in Turkey on 18th May 2017. Nearly 7,000 people participated in the book reading event conducted at Gadchiroli, Maharashtra. The event was organised by police authorities. The book reading event in Turkey held on 18th May 2017 had participation from 5,754 people.
1. Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvi won gold medal with a world record score 242.3 in the finals of the men’s 10m air pistol and defeated Germany’s Christian Reitz (239.7). Jitu Rai scored 219 in the men’s 10m air pistol event and won bronze medals .Mehuli Ghosh shot a world junior record 228.4 and won bronze medal in the women’s 10m air rifle event at the ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico.
2. Rashid Khan of Afghanistan ( 19 yrs) has become the youngest captain in international cricket. Afghanistan is now playing against Scotland in first of the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifiers in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe. Rashid Khan took charge as captain for Afghanistan team as the previous captain Asghar Stanikzai was down with appendicitis.
3. Maharashtra women’s team won the interstate national tennis championship 2018 held in Chhattisgarh on 3rd March 2018. It was organised by the Chhattisgarh State Tennis Association (CSTA) under the guidance of All India Tennis Association (AITA) from 26th February to 3rd March 2018.
1. Davide Astori ( 31) an Italian footballer, passed away due to a sudden illness, in his room at the La di Moret hotel in Udine, Italy on 4th March 2018. He was captain and defender of the Fiorentina team. The game that Fiorentina team was scheduled to play on 4th March 2018 was cancelled due to Davide Astori’s sudden demise.
2. Literateur Prafulla Das ( 91) died after suffering from age-related ailments at his home at Rajkanika in Kendrapara district, Odisha. He was honoured with the Sarala Award in 2014. His important works are ‘Kalapanira Angisikha’, ‘Agnujugar Aahwan’, ‘Bharatara Sasastra Mukti Sangram’, ‘Sahid Basu Bisnini’, ‘Kanika Prajaandolan Itihas’, ‘Netaji Aao feri Nahanti’, ‘Fashi Manchare Biplabi’ etc.
Prepared BySarala Dhavamanoharan