1. Bharati Defence and Infrastructure Ltd (BDIL) delivered high-speed interceptor boat ICG C-162 to Indian Coast Guard (ICG) at BDIL jetty in Mangaluru, Karnataka.The vessel will be based at Kochi, Kerala and will be used for patrolling purposes. It can accommodate 11 crew members. It is fifth interceptor boat delivered by BDIL’s Mangaluru shipyard to ICG. The sixth boat will be delivered after three-and-a-half months of the delivery of the fifth boat.
2. The verdict of the 2018 Assembly Elections in the three north-eastern states- Nagaland, Tripura and Meghalaya-is out. While the BJP-led NDA swept through Nagaland and Tripura, retaining the former and ending the 25-year-old rule of the left in the latter, elections in Meghalaya resulted in a hung assembly with the BJP likely to take power despite its low numbers.
3. The Union Cabinet chaired by PM Modi approved the Trafficking of Persons (Prevention, Protection and Rehabilitation) Bill, 2018 for introduction in the Parliament. It addresses the issue of trafficking from the point of view of prevention, rescue and rehabilitation. It defines aggravated forms of trafficking such as trafficking for the purpose of forced labour, begging, trafficking by administering chemical substance or hormones on a person for the purpose of early sexual maturity, trafficking of a woman or child for the purpose of marriage etc.
International:1. India and Vietnam have signed three agreements including landmark pact on civil nuclear cooperation to boost bilateral relations. These agreements were inked after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks with visiting President of Vietnam, Tran Dai Quang in New Delhi. Vietnam is one of India’s close strategic partners in the ASEAN region. Both countries will work together for regional security, including maritime and cyber security. They respect the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) and will further deepen Comprehensive Strategic Partnership.
2. Krishna Kumari Kolhi (39) from Sindh province in Pakistan became first-ever Dalit Hindu woman to get elected as Senator, member of upper house (Senate) of Muslim-majority country. Her election represents major milestone for women and minority rights in Pakistan. She won the election for the reserved seat for women from Sindh province. She is a member of Bilawal Bhutto Zardari-led Pakistan People’s Party (PPP). Earlier, PPP had elected first Hindu woman named Ratna Bhagwandas Chawla as senator.
Science & Technology/Defence :
1. India, Bangladesh and Russia have signed tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) for cooperation in construction of Rooppur nuclear power plant near Dhaka, Bangladesh. It is first initiative under India-Russia nuclear deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries. It will also be India’s first atomic energy venture abroad. Rooppur Nuclear project is having capacity of 2*1200 MWs. It is Bangladesh’s first atomic energy project. It is being built with Russia’s help near Dhaka. After commissioning of this plant, Bangladesh will become third South Asian country after India and Pakistan to harness atomic energy for energy purpose. India being not member of Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) will not participate directly in construction of atomic power reactors. But, Indian companies will be involved in construction and installation works and in supply of equipment of non-critical category.
1. Marshall Islands in Pacific Ocean is set to become first country in world to recognize cryptocurrency as its legal tender and adopt transparent crypto monetary system. The parliament of island has passed law to create the digital currency called “Sovereign” with symbol SOV to raise some hard cash to pay bills and boost economy. The Marshall Islands is partnering with Israeli fintech startup Neema to launch its SOV. It will have equal status with US dollar as form of payment. SOV is based on permissioned protocol, dubbed “‘Yokwe” (meaning “hello” in local island language), which requires blockchain users of this distal currency to authenticate and identify themselves, thus avoid anonymity that has kept other cryptocurrencies from gaining support from governments. The island country will issue 24 million SOVs in Initial Currency Offering (ICO). It will be circulated as legal tender in the country, alongside its current local currency, US dollar.
Awards & Honours :
1. The 90th Academy Awards commonly referred to as Oscars was held at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California (US). The Shape of Water won the most number of awards totaling to four at the ceremony after it was nominated into highest 13 categories. It was followed by Dunkirk, nominated for eight categories and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, nominated for seven categories. Best Picture: The Shape of Water. Best Actress: Frances McDormand (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri as Mildred Hayes). Best Actor:Gary Oldman (Darkest Hour as Winston Churchill) Best Director: Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water). Best Supporting Actress: Allison Janney – I (Tonya) Best Supporting Actor: Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri) Best Original Screenplay: Get Out – Written by Jordan Peele. Best Adapted Screenplay: Call Me by Your Name – James Ivory based on the novel by André Aciman. Best Cinematography: Blade Runner 2049 – Roger A. Deakins. Best Original Score: The Shape of Water – Alexandre Desplat. Best Original Song: “Remember Me” from Coco. Best Sound Editing: Dunkirk – Richard King and Alex Gibson. Best Foreign Language Film: A Fantastic Woman (Chile) in Spanish. Best Film Editing: Dunkirk Best Visual Effects: Blade Runner 2049. Best Production Design: The Shape of Water. Best Sound Mixing: Dunkirk. Best Documentary-Feature: Icarus. Best Animated Feature Film: Coco. Best Animated Short Film: Dear Basketball. Best Documentary-Feature: Icarus. Best Animated Feature Film: Coco. Best Animated Short Film: Dear Basketball. Best Make-Up and Hairstyling: Darkest Hour Best Costume Design: Phantom Thread.