1. May 11- National Technology Day with the theme 2018 “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”. The day is being commemorated to celebrate the anniversary of first of the five nuclear tests of Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) nuclear test, held from 11 to 13 May 1998 in Pokhran, Rajasthan. The operation was led by former President APJ Abdul Kalam, who was then Director of Defence Research and Development organisation.
2. May 12 - International Nurse Day (IND) is observed every year across the world to mark the birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale. The theme chosen by International Council of Nurses (ICN) for 2018 IND was ‘Nurses: A Voice to Lead – Health is a Human Right’.
|CLICK HERE TO BUY ONLINE|
1. Rythu Bandhu (friend of farmers) Scheme, an investment support scheme to support livelihood of farmers has been launched by Telangana government. Under this scheme, farmers will directly get financial support twice every year to maximise agricultural production and productivity. They will get investment support of Rs 8,000 per acre every year (Rs. 4000 each for monsoon and Rabi season) as crop investment support. It is first of its kind investment support scheme for farmers to be launched by any state in India.
2. World’s second oldest grain of magmatic zircon (a mineral that contains traces of radioactive isotopes) have been discovered by Scientists from Singhbhum rock sample( Champua) in Odisha’s Kendujhar district. It is an estimated 4,240 million years old. The oldest zircon older than this discovery was found in Jack Hill, Western Australia. It is 4,400 million years old and is the oldest known rock sample. It is metamorphosed sedimentary rock.
3. Under Swadesh Darshan Scheme, the Ministry of Tourism has decided to expand Buddhist tourism circuit to 21 more states to make it India’s first trans-national tourist circuit. The states now that will be covered includes Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Kerala, West Bengal, Goa, Gujarat and Jammu & Kashmir. Earlier it was envisaged only to seven major Buddhist pilgrimage sites in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. The expansion of Buddhist tourism circuit aims to catch new-age Buddhist tourists from the West, besides those from traditional markets in South East Asia.
4. ‘Kerala Fibre Optic Network Limited’- a Joint Venture company will set up by the Kerala Government to launch its new optic fibre network. The company will implement the Kerala Fibre Optic Network (K-FON) project. The K-FON initiative will provide speedy internet connectivity to government offices and educational institutions and to the public at an affordable rate.
1. The direct bus service between Janakpur (Nepal) and Ayodhya (India) was jointly inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli. It was launched as part of India’s Ramayan Circuit under Swadesh Darshan Scheme to promote religious tourism in Nepal and India. The government has identified 15 destinations in India for development under Ramayana Circuit theme under Swadesh Darshan Scheme. They are Ayodhya, Nandigram, Shringverpur and Chitrakoot (Uttar Pradesh), Sitamarhi, Buxar and Darbhanga (Bihar), Chitrakoot (Madhya Pradesh), Jagdalpur (Chhattisgarh), Mahendragiri (Odisha), Nashik and Nagpur (Maharashtra), Bhadrachalam (Telangana), Hampi (Karnataka) and Rameswaram (Tamil Nadu).
2. The first meeting of SCO tourism ministers(Shanghai Cooperation Organization) since the organization was established in 2001 in Shanghai was held in Wuhan, China. The meeting approved joint action plan that will serve as guideline for tourism cooperation between SCO member states for 2019-2020.
3. NASA’s Carbon Monitoring System (CMS) programme has cancelled by US President Donald Trump’s administration citing reasons of budget constraints and higher priorities within science budget. It was also in line with Donald Trump’s latest broad attack on climate change. NASA’s CMS Programme costing $10 million per year was meant to track carbon and methane, key greenhouse gases that contribute to global warming.
4. India and Peru signed agreement in field of Renewable Energy during Vice president Venkaiah Naidu’s visit to Peru. It was his first state visit to three Central American nations Guatemala, Panama and Peru. This was very important visit as it will help to enhance and strengthen India’s bilateral relations with these nations and will increase trade, investments and cooperation among these countries.
Science and Technology/ Defence:
1. Under the Digital India Initiative of Government, STAR - scheduled test for airmen recruitment was successfully conducted in online by the Indian Air Force ( IAF). It was conducted at 439 centres spread over 102 cities across the country in collaboration with Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) Pune. This makes IAF first of any of three services to undertake selection tests online.
2. The 6th United States-India Aviation Summit( biennial summit) jointly organised by Ministry of Civil Aviation and US Trade and Development Agency (USTDA) was held in Mumbai, Maharashtra from 9 to 11 May, 2018.
3. Atal Tinkering Labs of Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) of NITI Aayog had organized an Atal Tinkering Marathon in an effort to identify India’s best student innovators. Atal Tinkering Marathon’s Top 30 Innovations to be supported through industry partnerships were showcased on the eve of the National Technology Day. These top 30 innovations have been identified from 20 different States/UTs from across India. They were showcased through a booklet compiling the work done by the children, the mentors, teachers and schools.
4. To combat chronic disease like Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) ,United States’ prestigious Stanford University has agreed to assist Uttar Pradesh Government. JE is a mosquito-borne flavivirus. It belongs to the same genus as dengue, yellow fever and West Nile viruses.
5. Bangabandhu-1 (Bangladesh’s first communication satellite) will be launched from Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39A by SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket. It is named after Bangladesh’s “Father of the Nation”- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. It has been built by Thales Alenia Space, a Franco-Italian aerospace manufacturer. It carries total of 40 Ku and C-band transponders with capacity of 1600 megahertz and has predicted life span of 15 years. It will expand Ku-band coverage over all of Bangladesh and its nearby waters including Bay of Bengal, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Philippines and Indonesia. It will provide citizens of Bangladesh Internet connectivity, phone services, radio, backhaul, direct-to-home (DTH) TV services and other communication related services.
1. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has put state-run lender Dena Bank under prompt corrective action (PCA) framework. This means Dena bank can disburse loans for credit facilities already sanctioned, but cannot sanction fresh loans. It has barred Dena Bank from extending fresh credit in view of deteriorating financial health due to mounting non-performing assets (NPAs) and mounting losses. It makes Dena Bank first lender to face curbs on lending under PCA framework.
1. Sachin Bansal, the co-founder and group Chairman of Flipkart, resigned from his post on May 9, 2018.His exit comes in the wake of the Walmart-Flipkart deal in which US retail giant Walmart acquired 77 percent stake in Flipkart with an investment of around USD 16 billion. However, co-founder Binny Bansal will retain his 5.5 percent stake and will be Chairman of the company's Board. Sachin and Binny Bansal started Flipkart in 2007 with Rs 4 lakh, going door-to-door to deliver books.
1. India Day was held at the 71st Cannes International Film Festival in France on May 11, 2018 to bring together the French and Indian film industries. It is being organised by French Embassy in India and UniFrance, promoter of French films abroad at Terrasse UniFrance in Cannes. Among celebrities present at 'India Day' will be actor-director Nandita Das for her biopic "Manto"; Ken Scott with actor Dhanush, for "The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir"; Michelin-star chef Vikas Khanna for his directorial debut "The Last Color" and Antara Rao for her short film "Asthi".