1. June 23 - The International Olympic Day is celebrated all around the world for commemorating the birth of modern Olympic games on June 23, 1894 at Sorbonne in Paris.
2. June 23 -The United Nations Public Service Day is celebrated every year to highlight the Value and virtue of public service to the community. The theme of 2018 is “Transforming governance to realize the Sustainable Development Goals”.
3. June 23- International Widows Day. The ultimate goal of the day is to develop resources and policy to empower widows and allow them to have access to education, work, healthcare and lives free of violence and abuse.
1. The Union Ministry of Power is considering making 24 degrees celsius as mandatory default setting and labeling of air conditioners within few months. It will result in substantial energy savings and also reduce greenhouse gas emission. Every one degree increase in temperature of air-conditioner results in saving of 6% of electricity consumed. The normal human body temperature is approximately 36-37 degree Celsius. Setting lower temperature in the range of 18-21 degree Celsius is also unhealthy and compels people to wear warm clothing resulting in wastage of energy. This has been planned after six months campaign was launched on voluntary basis to increase awareness and encourage consumers to adopt the guidelines and also to promote energy efficiency in the area of air-conditioning.
2. The foundation stone for icon tower in Amaravati was laid by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister, N Chandrababu Naidu. It is to be constructed by Andhra Pradesh Non-Resident Telugus (AP NRT) society at Rayapudi village, will become a center for many NRT owned IT industries. The construction of building will be in the form of letter ‘A’ and it represents Amaravati. It consists of 33 floors and about 158-meter high. The iconic structure will give a stunning 360° degree view of Amaravati for the occupants.
3. A Guinness World Record was created in Rajasthan’s Kota city, where more than 1.05 lakh people performed yoga to mark International Yoga Day on 21st June 2018. The previous record of yoga, performed by 55,524 people, was achieved in Mysore in 2017.
4. Prime Miniser Narendra Modi inaugurated several urban development projects worth over Rs 40 billion, at various locations across the State during his visit to Madhya Pradesh, on 23rd June 2018. The development projects includes houses under Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana, urban drinking water supply schemes, urban solid waste management, urban sanitation, urban transportation and urban landscape projects.
5. Odisha cabinet has approved a proposal to utilise a piece of land in Ganjam district as a Domestic Tariff Area (DTA) to set up a Private Industrial Park by a Tata Steel company. The Park will be under the Odisha Industrial Infrastructural Development Corporation (IDCO).
1. The construction of its first strategically important oil refinery funded by India in southern Dornogovi province has been launched by Mongolia. It planned for completion in late 2022. On completion, it will meet all of the nation’s demand for gasoline, diesel, aviation fuel and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). The refinery will be capable of processing 1.5 million tonnes of crude oil per year. The refinery project is also considered as important milestone in bilateral ties between India and Mongolia.
2. The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism, Shri K. J. Alphons will attend a series of ‘Incredible India road shows’ in the United States of America. This is to project India as a ‘must visit’ tourist destination. The road shows were held in several major cities of US including New York, Chicago & Houston.
3. The first ever UK-India Week 2018 a bilateral meeting was held at the Taj Hotel in London. This was held for promoting prosperity, generating jobs, developing skills, and enhancing the competitiveness of the two economies.
1. The United Nations Medal for “selfless service” was awarded to the Indian Army contingent comprising of 7 Garhwal Rifles Infantry Battalion Group. The contingent is part of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) in South Sudan. It has played an active and decisive role in ensuring peace and stability in violence hit Jonglei State of South Sudan.
1. Abhay V. Udeshi appointed as International Castor Oil Association President. ICOA is an organization involved in growing, processing, trading, marketing and/or consuming Castor Oil. Abhay V. Udeshi has graduated from MS University of Baroda in B.E in Chemical Engineering. He is a Director at Jayant Agro Group, manufacturer of castor oil. ICOA announced it at Annual General Meet in Stockholm, Sweden.
2. Bharti Infratel has appointed S. Balasubramanian as new chief financial officer (CFO) and Key Managerial Personnel (KMP) of the company from Aug. 10 2018. He replaces Pankaj Miglani.
3. Arijit Basu has appointed as the new Managing Director of State Bank of India till October 31, 2020 by the appointments committee of the cabinet.
4. Senior Supreme Court judge, Justice Jasti Chelameswar will resign after nearly seven-year tenure in the apex court on 22nd June 2018. Justice Chelameswar joined as a Supreme Court judge on October 10, 2011, was part of the nine-judge bench that had delivered the historic judgement which ruled that a citizen’s right to privacy was a fundamental right.
1. Former World No.1 Heena Sidhu of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) topped the charts for the selection trials 5 in the 10M Air Pistol Women category at the Dr. Karni Shooting Range in the 18th KSS Memorial Shooting Championship. The para-shooter Rubina Francis from Madhya Pradesh clinched a gold and silver medal in the senior and junior category of the 10M Air Pistol (IPC) Championship women. Punjab’s Harveen Sarao who clinched a bronze in the 10M Air Pistol event had to settle for second spot . Double gold medallist at the 2010 Commonwealth Games Rahi Sarnobat took the third spot.