1. The Central Government has banned the Jamaat-e-Islami (Jammu and Kashmir) for a period of 5 years due to the outfit’s ‘close touch’ with the militants. Jamaat-e-Islami is a socio-political and religious organisation founded in 1945 by Islamic theologian and socio-political philosopher Abul Ala Maududi. After the partition, the organization broke into two groups, Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan and Jamaat-e-Islami Hind. The decision of banning the outfit was taken to avoid escalation of the secessionist movement in J&K.
2. A two day Expo-cum Conference on Construction Technology India 2019 (CTI-2019) was inaugurated by PM Modi in New Delhi. The event will provide a space for interaction among stakeholders. The main beneficiary of the initiative is youth. Technologies which are proven during CTI-2019 will further invited to design and build lighthouse projects. The project of one thousand housing unit will be built in 6 states namely Gujarat, Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Tripura and Uttar Pradesh. On 2nd March 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi declared ‘April 2019–March 2020’ as Construction-Technology year.
3. ”Plastic Waste-Free India’‘,an anthem was launched by Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Harsh Vardhan which has been composed and produced by Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya Smriti Manch (PDUSM)– a non-profit organisation which works in the field of social and environmental issues. It has been launched in seven languages – Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telegu, Malyalam and Kannada. It is a part of an initiative which aims to turn India into a plastic-free nation by 2022 and aims at supporting and improving the plastic waste management and recycling ecosystem in the country.
1. Abu Dhabi hosted the 46th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation (OIC). It was a two-day gathering dedicated to discuss ways to combat hate speech, extremism and conflict in the region. This is the first time that India participated in the meeting. Sushma Swaraj attended the inaugural session of the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation meeting in Abu Dhabi where she was welcomed as a “guest of honour”.
1. The foundation stone for AK-47 rifles manufacturing unit at Amethi of Uttar Pradesh Minister laid by PM Narendra Modi. The rifles will be manufactures at Amethi as a joint venture between India and Russia. The agreement for the joint venture was reached during the visit of President Putin to India last October. At Amethi Manufacturing facility, world-famous Kalashnikov assault rifles of the newest 200 series would be manufactured. This new Kalashnikov assault rifles will fulfil the needs of national security agencies in this category of small arms, resting upon advanced Russian.
2. The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) created a new Guinness World Record for the longest single moving line bicycle parade at the Yamuna Expressway. The bicycle parade covered 3.2 km distance non-stop. For creating the World Record the personnel of the central force rode 1,327 bicycles non-stop with a uniform distance between bicycles in a single line. The world record was attempted to commemorate the 50 years of the paramilitary force CISF.
3. Red Flag 19 military drill is being held in the US from March 3 to 16. Each year the exercise will be held at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. Exercise Red Flag is an advanced aerial combat training exercise held several times a year by the United States Air Force. The exercise gives aircraft crews an opportunity to experience advanced, relevant, and realistic combat-like situations in a controlled environment to increase their survivability in actual combat operations.
1. Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) has signed a MoU with Uber– a ride-hailing app to provide free healthcare services to Uber drivers. Drivers and delivery partners can avail this benefit by paying merely Rs 30 for procuring an Ayushman Bharat card, without any charges for pre-hospitalisation, hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation expenses.
2. Assam’s Hailakandi has become the top aspirational district among the 112 aspirational districtsof the country according to the Delta ranking report released by NITI Aayog. Hailakandi in Assam has made a giant leap from 52nd position to no. 1 position on the basis of its performance during November-December 2018 and January 2019. Hailakandi will be given an allocation of Rs. 10 crore for securing first rank as aspirational district.
1. Abhinandan Varthaman (Indian Air Force Wing Commander) has been chosen for the first Bhagwan Mahavir Ahimsa Puraskar award . The award which carries a cash prize of Rs. 2.51 lakh, a memento and a citation will be presented to Abhinandan Varthaman on the Mahavir Jayanthi (April 7,2019). This award is constituted by the Akhil Bharatiya Digambar Jain Mahasamiti.
2. Kumbh Mela, the festival of the sacred pitcher is the largest public gathering and collective act of faith, anywhere in the world. The Prayagraj Kumbh Mela 2019 has made into Guinness World Records in the following three sectors i) Largest traffic and crowd management plan. ii) Biggest painting exercise of public sites under paint my city scheme.iii) Biggest sanitation and waste disposal mechanism. The site of Kumbh Mela keeps rotating between one of the four pilgrimages on four sacred rivers. i) Prayagraj at the confluence of the Ganges, the Yamuna, and the mythical Sarasvati in Uttar Pradesh ii) Haridwar on the Ganges in Uttarakhand iii) Nashik on the Godavari in Maharashtra iv) Ujjain on the Shipra in Madhya Pradesh. This Hindu pilgrimage Kumbh Mela is celebrated four times over a course of 12 years over four locations in India.
3. The Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) has bagged the SKOCH Award, 2018 at the 56th SKOTCH Summit held at New Delhi for its remarkable achievements in the field of disaster management.
4. G Satheesh Reddy (Aerospace scientist and Chief of the Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) has been conferred the Missile Systems Award 2019 by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. He is the first Indian and first person outside the USA to be awarded this prestigious award in nearly four decades. Satheesh Reddy shares the award with Rondell J. Wilson, a former Principal Engineering Fellow of Raytheon Missile Systems.
5. Tata Steel has received an award as one of the 2019 World’s Most Ethical Companies. The award has been given by Ethisphere Institute, USA.
6. Alastair Cook– formerly a skipper of the England cricket team was officially awarded the knighthood for his services to cricket. He was honoured by Elizabeth II, the Queen of England at the Buckingham Palace, London, England. He is the 11th English cricketer to be awarded knighthood for services to cricket and also the first English cricketer to get the honour after Sir Ian Botham received it in 2007.
1. Bhagwan Lal Sahni has been appointed as the chairman of the National Commission for Backward Classes (NCBC). Other members of the commission are Kaushalendra Singh Patel, Sudha Yadav, Achary Talloju.
2. Macky Sall has again won the election with 58.27% of votes casted to be the President of Senegal. This majority votes has handed Macky Sall a second term to be the President without the need for a second round of voting. Macky Sall was elected as president in 2012 for the first time.
1. Bajrang Punia won gold in the Men’s freestyle wrestling 65kg category. Pooja Dhanda claimed gold in the Women’s 59kg category. Sakshi Malik claimed silver medal in the Women’s 65kg category. Sandeep Tomar claimed silver medal in the Men’s 61kg category. Vinesh Phogat claimed silver medal in the Women’s 53kg at the Dan Kovlov 2019 wrestling event. The Wrestling event is named after wrestling legend Doncho Kolеv Danev better known by the ring name Dan Kolov.
2. Shashank Shekhar won the 10 kilometer race of Nepal’s Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Open Marathon and Run for Fun which was held in Nepal’s Capital- Kathmandu.
3. Dubai Tennis Championship 2019 commonly known as Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championship concluded in Dubai, UAE. It was the 27th edition of men and 19th of women. Roger Federer won Men’s Singles title over Stefanos Tsitsipas. Belinda Bencic won women’s Singles by defeating Petra Kvitova of Czech Republic. This is Belinda’s first win over second seed Kvitova. Rajeev Ram and Joe Salisbury won Men’s Doubles title by defeating Ben McLachlan (New Zealand) and Jan-Lennard Struff. Hsieh Su-wei and Barbora Strycova won Women’s Doubles title by defeating Czech Republic Lucie Hradecka and Russia’s Ekaterina Makarova.