Like all other skills, reading skills also very important to succeed in any exam, and it becomes a habit as more as you practice it. The more you read more you become an effective reader. You should make reading as a habit not a mere skill. Read not only your course materials but also newspapers, periodicals and novels if you have sufficient time. This will make your reading habit more interesting.
Strategies for Developing Reading Skills
The following are some strategies to develop your reading habit.
- Become a member if your school library and your local public library.
- Join a book club or create one with interested people in your school or your living area
- Have reading targets to compete reading books. Plan and list out the books of your interest and set time limit to complete them.
- Subscribe and read regularly a standard newspaper and magazines.
Tips to improve your reading Habit
- When you open your study material, decide what you want to read ? and how much you want to read? with in you capacity.
- Have a break for note taking after studying for 45 to 50 minutes. Use 10-15 minutes for taking notes and summarizing what you have studied in the last session.
- Take a refreshment break after every one hour of study time. The break may be up to 10 minutes.
- Continue .... studying after a immediately after a refreshment break. Be careful ! If you take more than 10 minutes refreshment break your mind might be diverted from studies.