1. March 8- World Kidney day is observed every year on 2nd Thursday of March. This year’ s theme is “ Kidneys and Women’s Health : Include, Value, Empower”. This year it met with International Women’s Day.
1. I-Metros, an association of all Indian Metro Rail companies for mutual sharing of ideas & experiences for nurturing excellence their performance was launched by the Union Housing Ministry.
2. Udyam Sakhi Portal (www.udyamsakhi.org) for women entrepreneurs launched by the Ministry of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises on the occasion of International Women’s Day. The portal is network to nurture entrepreneurship and create business models for low cost products and services in order to empower women and make them self-sufficient and self-reliant.
3. Swachh Shakti 2018, a Women’s Convention was organized by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in association with Uttar Pradesh Government on occasion of International Women’s Day in Lucknow. In Swachh Shakti 2018, 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis and women champions from across country were recognised for their outstanding contribution towards making Swachh Bharat. This year, Uttar Pradesh had hosted Swachh Shakti 2018, being largest state in country (in terms of population) with massive rural population.
4. On the occasion of International Women’s day (March 8, 2018) the National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog has launched Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) with the theme song ‘Naari Shakti’ composed and sung by renowned singer Kailash Kher. WEP aspires to substantially increase number of women entrepreneurs to create and empower dynamic new India by opening up avenues of growth and opportunity for women entrepreneurs. These aspirations of women entrepreneurs are manifested in three pillars: Ichha Shakti: Motivating aspiring entrepreneurs to start their enterprise. Gyaan Shakti: Providing knowledge and ecosystem support to women entrepreneurs to help them foster entrepreneurship. Karma Shakti: Providing hands-on support to entrepreneurs in setting-up and scaling up businesses.
5. Saubhagya Yojana was launched in the Uttarakhand on March 9, 2018 by the Union Minister of State for Energy R.K. Singh along with Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat. Under the scheme more than 2 lakh 50 thousand families will be provided electricity connection in the state.
6. On the occasion of International Women's Day ,Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal announced that government will open a 100 bedded Mother and Child Care Hospital in Panipat to provide free sanitary napkins to adolescent girls and organize free medical camp once in a month exclusively for senior citizen women. In addition, process to recruit 1000 woman constable in Haryana Police will be started soon.
7. The Union Environment Ministry formed a committee to regulate movement of timber from the Northeast to other parts of India, The committee was formed under the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, in accordance with an order of the Supreme Court.
8. Central Government will award 'Mutawallis' who will perform well in management of Waqf properties to ensure utilisation of these properties for upliftment of the society.This announcement was made by the Union Minister for Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi . The announcement came during the first National Mutawalli conference of Central Waqf Council in New Delhi. Waqf Mutawallis are the custodian of waqf properties across the country. Waqf Mutawallis from Bihar, Chandigarh, Delhi, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Uttrakhand attended the first Mutawalli conference.
9. Haryana’s first cyber police station was inaugurated in Gurugram on 7th March 2018 to facilitate registeration of cyber offence related cases.
1. US President Donald Trump signed two proclamations that impose 25 per cent tariff on imported steel and 10 per cent on aluminium .It will come into effect in 15 days, primarily targets the massive steel and aluminium dumping by China. Only two countries Canada and Mexico have been exempted from the new import tariff, that too till the time the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) negotiations are complete.
Science & Technology/Defence :
1. The atmospheric winds of Jupiter run deep into its atmosphere and last longer than similar atmospheric processes found here on Earth.as per the data collected by NASA’s Juno mission. The findings will improve understanding of Jupiter’s interior structure, core mass and eventually its origin. Another major finding was that the massive cyclones that surround Jupiter’s north and south poles are enduring atmospheric features and are encountered in our solar system.
1. The number of wealthy Indians, having assets of over USD 50 million, is likely to grow by nearly 71 per cent to 4980 by 2022 from 2980 in 2017 as per Knight Frank's Wealth Report 2018. In terms of wealthy population, India will be the third largest contributor in Asia after China and Japan. The 'City Wealth Index' of Wealth Report 2018 ranked Mumbai at 16th spot among the top 20 costliest global cities where USD 1 million can buy only 92 square metres of area. Delhi stood at 22nd and Bengaluru at 26th positions, respectively. The report also revealed that the number of ultra-wealthy people, with USD 50 million or more in net assets, rose by 11630 in 2017, taking the global total to 129730.
2. RBI has imposed a penalty of Rs 40 lakh on SBI as SBI failed to comply with RBI’s direction on detection and impounding of counterfeit- notes.
1. Ravi Thapar was appointed as the ambassador of India to Lebanon.
2. Prakriti became the first woman to be directly inducted as combat officer into Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP). ITBP has women roles in combat already but they are in constable ranks only.
3. Indian -origin steel tycoon Sanjeev Gupta was appointed as the UK Skills ambassador by Britain’s Prince Charles.
1. President Ram Nath Kovind presented Nari Shakti Puraskars 2017 to 30 eminent individuals and 9 distinguished institutions at special ceremony held in Rashtrapati Bhavan on occasion of International Women’s Day. These awards aim to acknowledge achievement of women by bestowing awards on eminent women and institutions in recognition of their service towards the.cause of women empowerment. Delhi High Court Acting Chief Justice Gita Mittal becomes the first woman from the field of law and justice to confer this award. India’s highest civilian honour for women.This award is given by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
1. Famous Sufi singer Pyare Lal Wadali (66) died of cardiac arrest in a hospital in Amritsar on March 9, 2018.
2. Veteran Broadcaster Shivaji Das gupta passed away . He became the first Indian commentator to cover a football match from abroad ( Singapore in 1984)