1. April 1- Utkal Divas or Urtkal Dibasa also known as Odisha Formation Day ( as a separate province from 1st April 1936) . Odisha separated from the combined Bengal- Bihar-Orissa province on that day.
1. Delhi became the first city in India to supply ultra-clean Bharat Stage (BS) VI grade fuel (both petrol and diesel) with an aim to combat the rising levels of air pollution in Delhi –NCR region. Other cities in NCR like Noida, Gurugram, Ghaziabad and Faridabad as well as other 13 major cities, including Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Pune will roll-out cleaner BS-VI grade fuel from January 1 2019. State-owned oil firms have started supplying the BS-VI fuel (equivalent to fuel meeting Euro-VI emission norm) at all their 391 petrol pumps in NCT.
2. The 114th meeting of the Permanent Indus Commission (PIC) between India and Pakistan was held in New Delhi. India’s Indus water commissioner PK Saxena and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) officials were part of Indian delegation for annual meeting. Pakistan’s six-member delegation will be led by Syed Muhammad Mehar Ali Shah. The Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) was signed in 1960. It covers the water distribution and sharing rights of six rivers of Indus river system viz, Beas, Ravi, Sutlej, Indus, Chenab and Jhelum. The treaty specifies that waters from three western rivers viz. Indus, Jhelum and Chenab are reserved for Pakistan, while waters from eastern rivers viz. Ravi, Sutlej and Beas are for reserved for India.
3. “Rupashree”- a scheme to provide one-time financial support for marriage of poor girls has launched by the West Bengal government to ensure safe future for young women,This scheme was earlier announced by Amit Mitra, the Finance Minister of West Bengal, at the time of budget. Before marriage an amount of Rs 25,000 will be credited to girl’s bank account. A woman is required to fill the application form before her marriage and submit it to the office of Block Development Officer or Municipality Office to avail benefits under Rupashree. No minimum educational qualifications are required to apply for the scheme. Women should be more than 18 years of age at the time of their marriage. Annual income of a family should be less than 1.5 lakh. Beneficiary must be the permanent resident of the West Bengal.
1. “Accessible Tourism” - Nepal has launched its first accessible trekking trail for differently abled and elders in Pokhara city ,as a part of three-day international conference. Accessible tourism or inclusive tourism refers to an emerging concept referring to travel that is accessible to all people, with disabilities or not, including those with mobility, hearing, sight, cognitive, or intellectual and psychosocial disabilities, older persons and those with temporary disabilities.
Science & Technology/ Defence:
1. ISRO has lost contact with India’s most powerful communication GSAT-6A satellite in less than 48 hours after it was launched. This is caused by power system failure or short circuit on the satellite. The GSAT-6A satellite was to be placed in orbit in three phases after its successful textbook launch on March 29, 2018 onboard of GSLV-F08.
2. Tiangong-1- China’s out-of-control space lab has re-entered Earth’s atmosphere, landing in middle of the South Pacific Ocean near world’s ‘spacecraft cemetery or graveyard’. Most of its parts were burned up during gravity-propelled re-entry process. Tiangong-1 (Heavenly Palace or Celestial Palace-1) was China’s first prototype space station or space laboratory. It was placed in orbit in September 2011 as part of China’s efforts towards building its own space station independent and unconnected to any other international space-active countries. It was first operational component of Tiangong program, which aims to place a larger, modular station into orbit by 2023, the time when US-led International Space Station is expected to go out of service. Tiangong-1 was originally planned to be decommissioned in 2013 but its mission was repeatedly extended. It reportedly stopped functioning in 2016. China has launched a second lab, Tiangong-2 in 2017 which continues to be operational. The spacecraft cemetery also known as Point Nemo — considered the most remote place on Earth (at about 2400 km from any spot of land). It often used to crash-land defunct satellites. Between 1971 and mid-2016, space agencies all over the world have dumped between 260 and 300 spacecraft into the region.
1. India became the second largest mobile phone producer I the world after China as per the claim made by ICA ( Indian Cellular Association) . with 11 million units produced in the year 2017, India replaced Vietnam which is in the second position. Fast Track Task Force ( FTTF) , a body under MeitY has set a target to achieve around 500 million mobile phone production in India by 2019.
2. The e-way Bill System for Inter-State movement of goods across the country is being introduced from April 1, 2018 as per previous decision of GST council,The e-way bill will apply to inter-state transportation of goods worth over Rs. 50,000 through road, railways, airways and vessels. From this date, the businesses and transporters moving goods worth over Rs. 50,000 from one state to another will have to carry an electronic or e-way.bill. E-way bill is an electric document generated on the GST Portal, which is a common and shared information technology (IT) infrastructure between the Centre and States; and acts as evidence for movement of goods.
1. BCCI has appointed former DGP of Rajasthan, Ajith Singh as head of its anti-corruption Unit. He will replace Neeraj Kumar ( Delhi Commissioner of Police)
1. Mithali Raj , Captain of Indian Women’s Cricket Team was honoured with the “ Sportsperson of the year” award at the Telangana Sports Journalists Association annual awards for 2017 in Hyderabad, Telangana.” The best coach of the year award was bagged by Pullela Gopi Chand for the second consecutive time. “ The best male athlete award goes to Kidambi Srikanth and the best female athlete award was bagged by PV SIndhu.
1. Film Director , C. V. Rajendran ( 81) from Tamil Nadu died after a long term illness.